MAF vs Coils

As I read through the posts on engine problems there seems to be a common set of solutions. Change the MAF or the coils. Can someone describe the symptoms caused by the malfunction of each?

Thanks

Dennis

Reply to
bluevang

MAF will affect all cylinders equally. Usual symptoms are an inability to rev above a certain limit (3000rpm or whatever). Possible solution: Check for grounding fault or corroded connectors.

Coils usually fail individually. When one coil fails you will get uneven running. The engine will run on only 5 cylinders, in a rough manner. Find faulty coil by disconnecting the spark to each cylinder in turn. The cylinder which produces no change in the way the engine runs is the one with the faulty coil.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Thanks for the description. I have order an new MAF from Courtesyparts.

Thanks

Dennis

Reply to
bluevang