Maxima 1995: OBD II P1355 code (Nissan DTC 47: Crankshaft Position Sensor Reference)

It starts easily at any temperature, even on a very cold Qu?bec winter.

It runs smoothly, almost always...

Very seldom, it hiccups for a second or two while I drive at regular speed; the phenomenon is so short that the car does not seem to loose speed; the inertia restarts the engine. Fortunately, it has never occurred while I was overtaking another vehicle!

More frequently, but not very frequently, it stalls while I am stopped at a red traffic light. Then I have to use the starter for 10 to 20 seconds before the engine restarts. The starter works flawlessly; I changed 2 of its 4 brushes and I regreased last summer.

I read the Engine Control Module codes; I got two.

One is related to the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. I am prone to discount it because the problem occurs at any engine or ambient temperature.

The other, OBD II P1355, is related to the Crankshaft Position Sensor Reference.

Today, I disconnected the Crankshaft Position Sensor Reference and Injector Sub-Harness. This connector is almost on the top of the timing chain cover, and the harness it connects to runs along the top of the timing chain cover. This connector was very clean inside.

I measured the Crankshaft Position Sensor Reference resistance at 540 ohms which is OK since it should lie between 470 and 570 ohms. I also checked that there is continuity between pin 7 and the engine.

I have yet to check that there is continuity between pin 3 and both pins 44 and 48 on the Engine Control Module. Is there a way to reach this ECM connector without taking the whole dashboard apart?

As I see it, it is either the sensor itself or a intermittent in the wiring. I am afraid it will be difficult to find because the problem occurs so infrequently.

I thank you very much in advance for any help.

Reply to
Jean Castonguay

Your diagnosis is very thorough, but I fear, in one aspect at least, incorrect. When the coolant temp sensor is faulty, the engine computer thinks the car is cold when it's not. Because of that the computer will adjust the feul maps and make the car run rich. Running rich leads to bad gas mileage, lower power, and perhaps even un-relaible low rpm operation. You may have noticed it already. Is your temp gage slightly low? Car doesn't quite feel as powerful as it used to?

Change the coolant temp sensor. Once you do, it may take 2 or 3 tankfulls for the car to re-adjust to the new readings.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thank you for your answer, codifus.

After I cleaned the Crankshaft Position Sensor Reference and Injector Sub-Harness Connector, I drove several days with the Check Engine Light off. It turned on again. However, I did not notice any engine hiccup.

With an OBD-II reader, I got P0155, Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit, and P0400, Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

I had cleared the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor as a culprit because neither the ambient temperature nor the engine temperature seemed to have any effect on the engine hiccups.

Could you tell me where this sensor is located and what value it has when the engine is cold (betweeen 10øC and 25øC)?

Thanks again, codifus.

Reply to
Jean Castonguay