Maxima 2000: diagnostic codes P1320 and P1211, ignition coil failure

Threaded View

On a cold Qu‚bec morning, my sister started her Maxima 2000. The
engine ran roughly for a few minutes, and then, ran smoothly from that
point on.  The ®Service Engine Soon¯ light came on.

She drove to a dealership for a diagnostic.  They pulled codes P1320
and P1211 (I have not found the meaning of this latter code).
Apparently there was no P030x code to point to the offending cylinder.

The service attendant told her that one of the  ignition coil was
defective, and others could follow.  The ECU COULD EVEN BE DAMAGED BY
THE FAILURE of an ignition coil!...

Depending on her car to go to work, she heeded the service attendant
advice (is it an advice or a high-pressure sales tactic?)!   $$$!!

By googling this newsgroup, I became aware that ignition coil failures
occur relatively frequently in 5th generation Maximas.  Apparently
Nissan did not make any recall.  The customer has to pay...

Some think that, when it occurs, all six coils should be replaced.
Others think that only the defective coil should be replaced.

I know it is difficult to design circuitry involving magnetic
components but if the ECU COULD EVEN BE DAMAGED BY THE FAILURE of an
ignition coil, that is very BAD ENGINEERING.

Personnally, I think that such a Maxima with a defective ignition coil
can be driven at low speed without causing a causing a catastrophic
engine failure.  What is your opinion?

Thank in advance.
--
Jean Castonguay
lectrocommande Pascal

Re: Maxima 2000: diagnostic codes P1320 and P1211, ignition coil failure

You said it: ..."high–pressure sales tactic?)!   $$$!!"

Lets not burn our
fuses:
- Greed is not local, but GlobAll.
- Greenpees expand greed to GlobAll
War-M-UP-ppet$how, we pay that in taxes (here 90%)

Buy one coil from the net,
DIY swap. ECU will eventually fry anyway during next 100yrs. Dont worry about
what mean men say :)

--
Wiikinki
www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1

Hello,

  At our dealership we leave it up to the customer if they want to do all 6
or just the 1 coil. Usually a few months later another cylinder code will
show up and we replace another coil. I have yet to see an ECM damaged by a
bad coil so I don't think your ECM is damaged.

Mark I
http://nissanhelp.cjb.net

Site Timeline