Maxima 93 Bose stereo

Bose unit has CD/Cassette - problem - Smoke started pouring out of the cassette player slot & I had trouble getting the cassette out of the unit. I then disabled the player. 1. Any idea what could have caused the problem?

  1. Any suggestions on what to look for, & where, in particular to look, if I should take the unit out? 3. Any idea where I might find a free schematic online on this unit? 4. Any way to disable the cassette player ONLY, so that the FM & or CD player could still be used? 5. I read (somewhere online) that the standard stereo for Maxima can not be installed when the car came with the Bose set up. I would purchase a used unit, if I could locate one & know that it is compatible. I searched eBay, and evidently the Bose I have is not easy to come by.
Reply to
SlateArtist
1) Sometimes the Bose just dies. The smoke thing is new to me. I would suspect a blown capacitor inside the unit. 2) If you disassemble the unit I would look for distorted electrolytic capacitors (the cylindrical ones). Be careful, if it's large you should discharge it first. I repaired my Bose amps by replacing all of these capacitors with Panasonic equivalents I bought at Digikey. 3) No 4) I don't know 5) You must use an adapter like a Scosche to properly connect an aftermarket headunit to Bose speakers without damaging them. Google in the domain 'maxima.org' for more info.

Dave

SlateArtist wrote:

Reply to
dgeesaman