Maxima stuttering, stammering and hesitation..

I have an 87 Nissan Maxima Se, 5 speed, all power, and my issue at the moment is that it is stuttering and stammering at various speeds with no

distinct pattern... You step on the accelerator pedal and get nothing but stuttering and stammering for anywhere from 6 to 10 secs, and then you finally get acceleration. The car jerks forward and backwards all during that time.

I just got a new motor put in, and everything you can imagine has been changed up to this point with no luck. The fuel filter, spark plugs, wire set, distributor cap, rotor button, and even the timing belt was changed and the timing reset.

To be a bit more specific, the stuttering and stammering is more like hesitation and no response when I hit the gas pedal, and sometimes it can last up to 15 secs...

This mostly happens when the car is hot, or slowly begins to warm up, and never goes away afterward...

I finally get power back in the car, and can't enjoy it due to all the stuttering and stammering....

Any help whatsoever on this would be appreciate...and I thank you ahead of time.

thanks..

-- ==================================================================== | Etop Udoh |

|| P.O. Box 1054|
||Snellville, Ga|
|| 30078 |
||--------------|
|| A+ Certified Net+ Certified || \/ \/ || snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net | snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net | snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com|| !! ..........Peace and Love to All......... !! |====================================================================

Reply to
Etop Udoh

It could be one or more of several things. It could be your fuel pressure regulator, coil, throttle position switch...to name a few. When you say that the timing was "reset", was this done with a timing light. If not, double check that with the light.

It could also be the cylinder head temperature sensor. You can ohm the connector that leads to it and see if the resistance is within specs cold and hot. The book will tell you that info. If it's bad, you can plug a resistor of that value in the connector and immulate a hot or cold condition for the ECU (only for testing).

Reply to
unix-freak

Got more info for everyone...

I pulled the computer from under the passenger seat and ran the diagnosis test... I only got a code out of "Mode 3", and it threw a code of 2 red and 2 green....which according to the service manual points to the fuel pump circuit. Mode 1 and 2 just showed the continuous green led flashing... Mode 4 and 5 showed nothing at all....

On a second note, I stopped by the local "PepBoys" shop and asked for a compression test on the motor which I just got put in. Test came out clean. I also asked for a fuel system clean which they performed but of course the car still did the same thing, Also said the timing was off by just a notch.

I actually sat in traffic today observing the tachometer needle steadily jumping up and down at right about 500 rpms.....that was a new one for me. I usually watch the need drop from a little about 1000 rpms to about

350 to 400, jump around a little and then return to about 1000 rpms but not remain there and just keep jumping around or pulsating...

thanks...

Et> I have an 87 Nissan Maxima Se, 5 speed, all power, and my issue at the

-- ==================================================================== | Etop Udoh |

|| P.O. Box 1054|
||Snellville, Ga|
|| 30078 |
||--------------|
|| A+ Certified Net+ Certified || \/ \/ || snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net | snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net | snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com|| !! ..........Peace and Love to All......... !! |====================================================================

Reply to
Etop Udoh

Did you ever get the problem fixed? I have a 95 Maxima and I am having the same problem and it started happening a day after I got a tune-up from Pep Boys. I took it back and they said they did not see a prblem. The condition worsens when the air conditioning is on and when the car is in drive, it gets better when I put it in park. I also have had 2 brake jobs within the last year, the last time being a month ago and from time to time, my brakes just go out on me, I took it back to Pep Boys and they see no problem. Please help! Thanks!

Reply to
Ttime

There's the problem. They probably used bosch platinum plugs in it or something eaqually cheap/junk.

2 brake jobs in a year? STOP going to pep boys or tire stores for repairs!
Reply to
Steve T

Your statements make no sense. Brakes "just" going out on you means nothing as far as trying to help you with your problem. Stop going to get your car fixed by kids.

Reply to
Roger