Need Niss Tech's Help!!!!

Im baaaaaack! 2001 Max gle 65k never a problem....till now. I will be driving along on highway or city streets and my temp gauge starts to climb. I then shut down engine and immedietly re-start and the gauge will quickly drop back to normal for about 2 miles then it goes back up. The coolant overflow jug will fill up also indicating that the car is getting hot. We changed the thermostat and flushed system. When dealer tested the car they got a code#172. Yesterday they retested and got code # 153, which they said indicated he O2 sensor. Im really frustrated as I am hesitant to go on the road in fear of this overheating issue. Dealer thinks changing the water pump which is driven by the timing chain might solve the problem but of course there is no gaurantee. Can anyone help please? What exactly is the deal with this chain driven water pump and does this symptom sound like it may be related? Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

I assume that the cooling system passes a pressure check, as does the radiator cap. These are often overlooked basics. Do the cooling fan(s) come on? Does it overheat with AND without A/C on? Does having the A/C on also cause the fan(s) to come on? If the fans aren't working, you may have a bad temp sender or relay... Has the air been properly bled from the system? The pump could be the problem, but unlikely. The impeller may be eroding, or it is 'loose', causing too much clearance, not enough pumping...

-mike w

T> Im baaaaaack! 2001 Max gle 65k never a problem....till now.

Reply to
mike w

Good suggestion below,,,

Unlikely that its the water pump,,,,the codes do indicate that the car is overheating though,,,well maybe - is the check engine light on,,?

the fans do not seem like the problem, as you said it overheats at cruising speed.

Check to see if the radiator fins are blocked by something,,,or if the radiator itself is clogged up.

When is the last time you had the coolant flushed, and did you use nisan coolant >I assume that the cooling system passes a pressure check, as does the

Reply to
AZV14

The first thing I would do is check the operation of the fans.

Get in the vehicle, start it up and turn on the A/C. Do the fans come on ?

If not check into that.

Next thing is to go drive the car around until it gets up to operating temp, not overheating.

Get the vehicle back home , shut it off and remove the 2 bolts that hold the fan motor shroud to the radiator, lean the fan assembly back to expose the back side of the radiator.

Then use your hand to feel around the aluminum core of the radiator, yes it will be a bit warm but not that bad. If you come across and spots that feel cold ( big difference in temp) chances are you have found the problem, a clogged /plugged radiator.

Check into that and report back

Reply to
NissTech

Yes fans are functioning. In regards to AC I only had this happen with it on. Mike W asked about air being bled from system. Not sure what he means. And pressure testing the radiator and cap have not been done yet. I will follow NissTechs advice and get back to you on that. Im crossing my fingers as I fear my local Nissan dealer. As I said beore the temp gauge comes right back down after turning off ignition and immedetely re- starting it. Very strange. Thanks guys.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

Mike, etc,

I also have a serious problem with my 2000 Maxima and the cooling fans. Recently, when I would turn the A/C on, the cooling fans come on but make such a loud noise and the temp of the car go up, I have to turn the A/C off immediately and deal with the heat.

Yesterday I noticed the Service Engine Soon light was on. I noticed the temp gauge on the dash was to the top and steam coming out from under the hood. When the car cooled down I added more coolant and checked for the cooling fans too come on when I started the car. They did not.

Now, I can't drive the car because the temp goes very high with the A/C on and without.

I can't figure out why the fans don't go on and how to fix these problems. I've read so many posts I'm totally confused.

So here are my questions for anyone/everyone who might have an answer:

How can I get the fans back to running properly? Do I need a new fan motor or just clean it out with air? What is the "relay" and if that is the problem can I fix it myself and at what cost? Could this be a fuse problem? Is the overheating why the Service Engine light comes on?

Totally frustrated so any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Chaz

Reply to
maximachaz

From the tone of your post I would suggest you get your car to the dealer as soon as possible. If it where mine, I would have it towed. This engine has Al heads, and does not take kindly to the kind of overheating you describe. You should not be trying to drive it at all.

Seriously hoping you have not warped the heads,,,if so you better be shopping for a new car.

"maximachaz" wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

Thanks for the info. Car is at dealer now. Will keep fingers crossed that it doesn't have too much damage.

Thank you aga> From the tone of your post I would suggest you get your car to the

Reply to
maximachaz