New to Group w/90 max

Hey people. Just disovered this group. I have a 90 Maxima, with tons of problems, (lol) Just finished replacing all the timing, a new radiator, belts, wiring, etc.. etc.. It's a money pit, but she'll look good when finished. I have a slew of little things to fix, replace fuel hoses, I can smell gas through the vents in cold weather, famous for that yr max I was told. Also, I have a bearing whistling at me, window regulators to fix, as some of you will know, the right rear tail light is out, I see this almost on all 90-91 Max's. So in a nut shell, I'll fix all that, because the V6 in these babies are worth it. She's red now, but I'm thinking a new color when it's time. Color thoughts?

Reply to
FEAR THE SWAMP

How much would that cost you? Mine, 91 Max, has the same problem. Gas milage is kind of low too... 19 miles/gal. I was not sure if gas leaks or what.

In winter, I could see little smoke coming out from the engine oil tank (red, right behind the engine). I wonder what was the cause too.

You advice will be nice.

Jim

Reply to
nc24

check out max-world.org forums and maxima.org forums

Reply to
Brian

Thank you, I think that I will begin with the gas hose (4').

ty

Reply to
SmithChart

Re: New to Group w/90 max Group: alt.autos.nissan.maxima Date: Tue, Feb 15, 2005, 12:16am From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (nc24) =A0=A0=A0=A0I can smell gas through the vents in cold weather, famous for that yr max I was told. How much would that cost you? Mine, 91 Max, has the same problem. Gas milage is kind of low too... 19 miles/gal. I was not sure if gas leaks or what. In winter, I could see little smoke coming out from the engine oil tank (red, right behind the engine). I wonder what was the cause too. You advice will be nice. Jim ...Jim, I got my answer from maxima.org. They say when you smell gas from the vents, when it's cold, and goes away after the engine warms, it's most likely the rubber fuel lines, old and or cracked, or lose clamps. A quick fix is tighten the clamps. When I went to investigate my gas smell, sure enough, I had one clamp totally missing, and others' lose. I replaced, and tightened, no smell since. One of my lines does look old, I'll have to replace it soon I'm sure. They say if you still expereince the smell even after clamp tightening, you'll have to replace the lines. the hose size is 5/16...make sure to pick up new clamps and use fuel injection line only!!! It says that in forum. regular fuel hose is made for carbed cars and the fuel pump flows at a much lower pressure.

Reply to
FEAR THE SWAMP

Thank you so much. I am not a big fan on newsgroup, but what I am getting here is more than I am imagine from real people. Thank you so much.

I think I will look into the hose myself and see. I like my Max alot except the gas mileage. Mine Max ususally down half of my gas marker for a 40 miles trip... 3 days a week I have to refill gas. I am not sure if it is a feel or something actually going wrong with my gasline.

tia

...Jim, I got my answer from maxima.org. They say when you smell gas from the vents, when it's cold, and goes away after the engine warms, it's most likely the rubber fuel lines, old and or cracked, or lose clamps. A quick fix is tighten the clamps. When I went to investigate my gas smell, sure enough, I had one clamp totally missing, and others' lose. I replaced, and tightened, no smell since. One of my lines does look old, I'll have to replace it soon I'm sure. They say if you still expereince the smell even after clamp tightening, you'll have to replace the lines. the hose size is 5/16...make sure to pick up new clamps and use fuel injection line only!!! It says that in forum. regular fuel hose is made for carbed cars and the fuel pump flows at a much lower pressure.

Reply to
nc24

Re: New ..Jim-gas smell fix Group: alt.autos.nissan.maxima Date: Wed, Feb 16, 2005, 3:48am From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (nc24) =A0=A0Thank you so much. I am not a big fan on newsgroup, but what I am getting here is more than I am imagine from real people. Thank you so much. I think I will look into the hose myself and see. I like my Max alot except the gas mileage. Mine Max ususally down half of my gas marker for a 40 miles trip... 3 days a week I have to refill gas. I am not sure if it is a feel or something actually going wrong with my gasline. tia

. My 90's a gas hog as well. I need to get new plugs, tune, etc. In the mean time, something that helps my car run really well, is weekly or every other week, I put a can of "Seafoam" cleaner in my gas tank, followed by a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner, you can feel the difference almost immediately, and it does help the gas milage somewhat, with regular oil changes. You can also drop a little amount of that seafoam in your oil crank case, that helps some.

..Jim, I got my answer from maxima.org. They say when you smell gas from the vents, when it's cold, and goes away after the engine warms, it's most likely the rubber fuel lines, old and or cracked, or lose clamps. A quick fix is tighten the clamps. When I went to investigate my gas smell, sure enough, I had one clamp totally missing, and others' lose. I replaced, and tightened, no smell since. One of my lines does look old, I'll have to replace it soon I'm sure. They say if you still expereince the smell even after clamp tightening, you'll have to replace the lines. the hose size is 5/16...make sure to pick up new clamps and use fuel injection line only!!! It says that in forum. regular fuel hose is made for carbed cars and the fuel pump flows at a much lower pressure.

Reply to
FEAR THE SWAMP

My '89 SE always had great gas mileage. Normal around town was 25-26 MPG. Hot weather, high speeds highway 30+, even at 167K miles. That motor loves to run hard in hot weather. So the potential is there, once you fix your fuel situation. As for color, go for the Charcoal Pearl Metallic, if you have a black or grey interior. Probably would look ok with the tan interior as well, I suppose. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto 167K traded, RIP.

radiator,

regulators

Reply to