newbie: dirty oil on 2000 Max

I'm a newbie car owner so excuse my dumbass question please. I just got my oil changed and the Valvoline shop showed me the stick with dirty oil and recommended a $40 cleaner of some kind saying that my oil looked extra dirty. I balked and refused.

My last oil change was in late September thus I went about 6 months (only 3000 miles) between the oil change. I know I pushed it a bit there...and I live in Wisconsin.

Question: is this normal for dirty oil like this? Is it because I waited 6 months?

I have a1995 Maxima. I chnage the oil and filter every 5000KM or so.

I don't use additives in the oil or gas, but I had the oil system flushed once.

At 183,000KM, the oil is still golden when I change it these days. I susgest that a flushing is the better way to go.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

They are trying to sell you snake oil... you did the right thing in turning down their "offer".

You should, however, change oil more often. 6 months of Wisconsin winter is really hard on your engine... and at only 500 miles a month, you don't seem to be driving it enough to heat up the oil long enough to cook off volatile condensates. In your case, the 3 month schedule should rule.

It is perfectly normal for oil to look very dirty... sometimes within a few hundred miles after an oil change. That's why you can't judge based on the appearance and you should follow a schedule (3-5 K miles,

3 months).

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

BE GOOD TO YOUR MAX! Change the oil regularly! It's the most important thing you can to for her. And remember this! Things of beauty, grace and speed are commonly referred to in the feminine gender. Treat her like a lady and she'll continue to give you the ride of your life.

Reply to
PathfinderHero

I second that...Be good to your Max!!!!!!!!

I have a 1999 GLE with 139,000 and have run Mobil 1 oil and filter since day one. I change the oil every 7,000 miles or so and my Max purrs like a kitten. I also change it myself. I don't trust those quickie lube places to handle my girl. From start to finish the oil change takes less then 20 minutes and I have the piece of mind knowing I put in quality products and did the job correctly.

Treat your Max right and she will run for many, many, many miles. My goal is to put at least 500,000 miles on her. My accountant owns a

1980s Max with over 450,000 miles on the original engine and I met a guy the other day while getting gas that has a 1997 with 254,000 miles. The only thing he has done was replace the alternator around 200,000. The secret to both....maintainence and using quality products. Happy driving!!

Reply to
Racer X

Nothing against synthetic oil, but this longevity is due to the excellent design and build quality of Nissan engines. You could put the cheapest store brand oil you can find and cheapo Fram filters on them every 10K, and they will still run forever. I know because I've seen many customers do it. They are damn near bullet proof.

Racer X wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Jim could well be correct for all I know, but to me the added expense of synthetic is little price to pay for peace of mind in knowing I'm treating my "girl" right.

Speaking of doing it yourself, I have always changed my own oil -- except for the last oil change. I had the car into the dealer because it was knocking a bit under hard acceleration and I figured that since I was shelling out the bucks I might as well splurge and have them change the oil. I was wrong in thinking that cost was the only factor associated with this choice, as I discovered last night when I went to change the oil myself. Turns out the dealer mechanic was some kind of ham-fisted ape man who torqued the living SH*$ out of the filter and drain plug. I finally managed to loosen both, but the experience certainly validates the opion of Racer X.

Reply to
Feynmanfan