Nissan 240SX does not start - Is it the starter ?

This morning, my 93' Nissan 240SX does not want to start. This is the 1st time this is happening. I had one other owner give me a Jump Start, thinking it may be a dead battery - but did not help,

Any idea what may be the problem ?

Can the problem may be with the starter ? Is this very expensive to fix ?

Reply to
A Nissan Owner

if the jump start gave it enough juice to start on the key, then is is almost certainly the battery. Left the lights on? Has it been a bit lazy on turn over?

If this is sudden, you may have an electrical fault which is draining the battery - a faulty diode in the alternator maybe?

Charge the battery well (over night) and see if it holds charge (with a meter) if it drops slowly, it sounds like the battery is life-expired - they are typically only good for 5-8 years max (don't care how long all you lot HAVE had a battery last before you start posting that your uncle's model T is still on the original or whatever).

If the charge on the battery drops very quickly - you might have a fault on the car itself - this is not common - my money is on a new battery.

Reply to
UncleWobbly

A little more info would help:

Does the starter turn?

Do the lights dim when you turn the key?

Does anyth>if the jump start gave it enough juice to start on the key, then is is

Reply to
thejed

Laurie Osmond snipped-for-privacy@ns.sympatico.ca

Reply to