Nissan Maxima Knock Sensor

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima that report a knock sensor error code on bank 1. My mechanic says it should be replace and it could cost about $500 for parts and labor total. Knock sensor cost about $160 from Nissan. How hard is it to replace on my own? Do I need a mechanic or can I order the part and figure it out with a Nissan repair manual. Thanks!

Reply to
dwebster96

Ho hard it will be for you depends on your skill level. The knock sensor is only held on by a single 12mm bolt, the only caveat is it's location is a little tricky to get to. It is located in the V-valley of the engine. The book procedures call for removal of the intake manifold. You can get creative with the use of flex-joint sockets and extensions and do the removal/replacement without removing anything other than the air-intake.

Here is a write-up:

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Wow! Thank you so much! I search and search on google, but couldn't find that. I've changed my breaks before, and other light work. Thanks you again. D

Reply to
dwebster96

Also don't pay $160 for the sensor - they can be found on eBay, etc for under $100. If you can't find one on eBay, Jerry Rome Nissan has an online site that will sell it for nearly that cheap.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Thanks Dave! Do you know if changing the Knock Sensor requires changing the harness (connector cable) also, or just the sensor itself?

Reply to
dwebster96

Knock Sensor is a global safety device - against 'blondies'. Typical car usage never activates KS in a car lifetime. However, these sensors degrage soon causing power loss & poor mpg.

It may be bypassed with 1c resistor - and no harm done (except Nissan enterpricey). The requirements for driver iq are higher w/o KS: he/she has to understand to loosen gas pedal 5mm - during knock which may happen "once in a lifetime, hot summer year 2035". Example for all, Details for 3gen VGE maxima click

Nissan Service Manual -94 page EF&EC-21 says this: "The retard system by knock sensor KS is designed only for emergencies. The basic ignition timing is pre-programmed within the anti-knocking zone. Consequently the retard system does not operate under normal driving conditions. However, if engine knocking occurs, the knock sensor monitors the condition and the signal is transmitted to the ECM. After receiving it, the ECM retards the ignition timing to avoid the knocking condition."

Having said all this, its good for general pop to keep KS & any other safety device up and running.

Reply to
Wiikinki