NissTech Requested - 92 Maxima Auto Trans

Specs:

92 Nissan Maxima GLE V6 Automatic 167,000 miles For about 2 weeks I've noticed hesitation when switching into drive. I had an appointment for this weekend, the first of December 2005 to have the fluid replaced. Today, while driving the car revved up to about 4000 rpm's after sitting at a traffic light. At the next traffic light, it revved up and failed to lock gears 1, 2 and Drive. There was a lot of smoke and after about 15 seconds it finally locked and I was able to pull into a nearby shopping center. I checked the oil and it was dark but it was full. So, my father and I came back a few hours later and while driving it home, it would slip out of gear if I went above 25 miles per hour. Also, Reverse is not functioning at all. Now, I'm wondering if this requires a rebuild or a new torque converter. I've seen several posts that refer to this torque converter which is a much less expensive purchase and replacement. Yet, I still need to be sure. My father mentioned that replacing the oil may even fix this issue but after what I've read, I'm not so sure about that.
Reply to
drivers86

I have a 93 GXE 145k miles at time of failure, here's what happened:

Transmission operates faultlessly for years. No symptoms of impending failure. Out driving one day and pulling away from a Stop sign under strong aceleration the drive quits completely with only a slight thump. Car coasts to a halt. Motor revs but no drive in any gear.

Phoned arround several transmission shops in my area, DC metro. Most quoted a price $1400 - $2650 for complete transmission overhaul depending on the required repairs.

Found a small local shop who listened to my description of the failure. Shop owner tells me this is most likely a torque converter failure. Maxima torque converters regularly strip the female splines in the tc where the input shaft enters.

Anyway his diagnosis over the phone proves correct.

Cost: Torque converter $235.00 Labour $500.00

Your symptoms and mine sound different. Hope this helps.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I've been quite unfortunate with my 92 gxe auto. Had major failure on an interstate. Felt like i hit a log laying in the street, I managed to make it home, and to the tranny shop, but with much grinding, and hard shifting. Ended up putting in a used transmission, since i didn't have the money for a rebuild....well, one year later I had to do the rebuild anyway because the used trans failed.....this time there was a lot of slippage, and would not engage in reverse. The reverse issue is similar to yours, whatever that is worth. Still love the car tho, rebuilt tranny runs like a dream ;-)

wish you luck,

Andre 1992 gxe auto 123k

Reply to
Andre