Non usenet friend needs A/C advice

My friend has a 91 Infinity, Q45.

Now I know enought to know that Nissan makes the Infinity and I think the infinity is the same as the Maxima, right?

So, they're being told some outrageous amount to fix the A/C because "It's that old freon and we have to convert it".

My understanding that if the compressor is bad, you just buy a new rated one, change the drier and the in/out values and load it up with new freon (135?) and bingo!

Right? Wrong? Will a compressor for a 91 Maxima be the same thing? Is he getting rooked becuase of the magic "infinity" name. Any advice on pricing or such?

I told him that I would check on usenet as many of you guys are real experts or have good advice.

He's in the Seattle area.

TIA!!!

Reply to
p-tat

ronm

My 1996 I30t a/c compressor came apart at 22,000 miles and 1 1/2 years old.

At the time, the Infiniti dealer told me that they hadn't seen too many failures in an I30, but failures were fairly common in Q45's. So Q45 compressors are different.

JM

Reply to
JM

Funny you should bring that up. My '97 I30t's AC compressor went out at

28,000 miles and 2 years old. The dealer told me the same th> My 1996 I30t a/c compressor came apart at 22,000 miles and 1 1/2 years > old.
Reply to
E. Meyer

get another opinion.i had my '89 maxima converted for the following: labor $192.00 a/c fittings $ 47.91 refrigerant $30.00 a/c oil $20.00

Reply to
jim mcguire