Not Accelerating Like Before

Hi, I have a 1996 GLE. Recently, I brought my car in for the 70K maintenance. At the time, there was some problem with accelerating the car. The mechanic said that the idle was adjusted, which should solve the problem. My car runs fine now but sometimes, it still has trouble accelerating. I notice this when, for instance, I'm about to merge onto the highway and it doesn't go as fast as before. Any ideas what's wrong?

TIA, kate

Reply to
BMC

Any smoke or funny odor eminating from the car when you push the pedal all the way down? Sort of a rotten egg smell?

Reply to
LACropCircles

Reply to
JimV

No. Nothing

maintenance.

Reply to
BMC

Plugs were replaced at 60K. Don't know about air/fuel filters. (I think they were changed recently, though.) The check engine light is not on, and I always use premium. I can understand about the A/C, but I doubt that's the reason because I think I still have the problem when I don't have it on.

maintenance.

Reply to
BMC

I'd try running a bottle or two od Techron through it.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

that would be tricky to notice unless you're behind the car, wouldn't it? What would it be indicative of?

Reply to
Matthew Brooks

I suppose it would be rather tricky to pull that off on a solo basis:) Sometimes, the air/fuel ratios can get messed up and if you are experience that kind of smell (running rich).

Reply to
LACropCircles

It is very likely the knock sensor needing replacing. This is a very common problem on early 4th gen Maximas, and results in the ecu reverting to default engine timing and a loss of low-mid range power.

Reply to
Steve Manifold