possible starter problems?

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima. I replaced the alternator and battery a few months ago. In the last two weeks or so I have had trouble starting the car. It will eventually turnover after a couple of tries. In the last few days the problem has gotten worse. When I turn the ignition I can hear the car trying to start however it does not turnover. The radio and lights both come on and do not appear to be dim. This morning after numerous tries I could not get it to start at all. After turning the ignition several times to get it to start, I could no longer even here it trying to start. Nothing would happen except the radio and lights coming up when I turn the key. Does this sound like a starter problem? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
rgmaxima

Sounds like a starter, but could be a bad connection. Do the lights stay bright when you actually turn the key to the start position? If they do, it's probably not the battery.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
john smith

yes, the lights stay bright and do not appear to dim when the key is in the start position. When you say bad connection are you referring to the battery?

Reply to
rgmaxima

thanks, I'll look into that. Was the tech services bullentin recent? I could not find it on the nhtsb website.

Reply to
rgmaxima

Reply to
john smith

Just an update - it ended up being the starter. Had it replaced yesterday.

thanks for you help.

Reply to
rgmaxima