power flush, engine oil flush

i was at the dealer and they tried to sell me a power flush and an engine oil flush. are these services useful or not really necessary?

Reply to
jmacmill

Unnecessary. Simply drain and replace coolant and transmission fluid every 30k, and flushing won't be worth the effort.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

When you suggest draining the trans fluid, are you talking about the four or so quarts that comes out when you remove the drain plug? My practice has been to break the trans fluid line at the radiator and run the engine (while adding trans fluid) until it comes out clean. I do this every 60 thousand miles. It is a pain in the ass and very expensive if you use synthetic, which I do. Is my method considered a "power flush"?

Thanks,

Gerry

David Geesaman wrote:

Reply to
feynmanfan88

It's a power flush only in the sense that the tranny's pump is doing the work, but without the safeguards of the real power flush equipment. What you're doing is risky I think, although not unheard of by any means. And 60,000 is too long, unless you live in a cool climate.

Reply to
jmattis

It's not risky unless you let it run dry.

Reply to
JimV

No it isn't. A power flush system will attach to the input and return lines from the radiator and force new fluid into the transmission, thus forcing out the old fluid. This is done until the output fluid is clean.

Your method is probably less stressful on the system in general because there's no pressure involved other than normal. It's actually a nice improvement on the power flush, but I'd be very careful that you don't run it too dry.

And 60k is far too infrequent for a fluid change. You could supplement your method with a regular drain and fill at the 30k mark.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G