Power Steering Hose Replacement Question

Ok, I recently had the power steering hose replaced because it was leaking fluid. When I went to pick it up, as I drove off I noticed a humming sound especially when I turned the wheel. I went back in and he said it still had air in the lines and would go away after a few days. Well it's been about 3 weeks now and its still making that sound. The fluid level is ok and the hose is not leaking. He said he could replace the pump but he could not guarentee that the noise would go away. Steering seems to be fine, he said you turn the wheel all the way to the left and then to the right to get the air out of the lines and that's all that you can do. All I know is that I didn't have that noise in the steering when I brought it in to that shop. I hate to replace the pump if that is not the cause of the noise because it's not cheap. It's a 91 se with 140,000 miles but the car runs great other than this problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated

rottie

Reply to
rottie

most likely the pump is the cause.

If the pump/power steering system was run dry due to the leaking line chances are the internal workings of the pump may have become damaged due to lack of lubrication.

If you are getting power assist from the power steering pump I would not worry about it too much, wait till the pump fails completely.

Reply to
NissTech

What may have happened was the pump was run dry when the hose failed and damaged the pump. It probably isn't hurting anything unless the noise really bothers you.

Reply to
Steve T

The fluid did run low but never dry. I filled it up and that stopped the noise. Had the hose replaced and it started back up. The humming noise is there going straight but gets worse when turning, to answer a previous reply. Thanks for the help.

rottie

Reply to
rottie

Jack the front end up of the car. With motor off, turn the wheel all the way to the right then to the left a few times, this should circulate the fluid to help get the bubbles out. next start the car and repeat. if this does not solve the noise, you may have a damaged pump or a leak in the system.

Reply to
john

Thanks John, I'll try that rottie

Reply to
rottie

What does the fluid look like? Normally if it an issue with air mixed in with the fluid, it looks milky. Maybe somehow you have a restriction in the supply hose to the pump? The other possible problem is they used an aftermarket hose that has the wrong size orifice/restrictor in it? Some PS hoses have a "jet" of sorts and if the wrong size one is in the hose, this could cause a problem.

Reply to
Steve T