Power Steering Pump Q's - 97 Max SE

While having a good look at my steering rack, linkage, and control arms, I noticed a leak on the lower large hose leading to my power steering pump. It appeared to be a slow leak. The PS fluid chamber is filled to spec.

1) Can a leak cause air to seep in and make steering less responsive? 2) Should I worry about it if I don't see evidence of loss enough to lower the system fluid levels?

And, I replaced my Oil Pressure Sensor a while back, and used teflon sealing tape, but everything on the OPS and aft side of the oil pan is still covered in oil. No driveway leaks. Any suggestion on that? Or can it be ignored?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

The PS system will automatically bleed out small amounts of air. Large amounts of air could interfere with the pump getting lubricated, but you'd have to have a lot of air for that to happen.

If there is no noticeable fluid loss, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have oil leak symptoms similar to yours, and I think I have finally narrowed it down to the upper oil pan gasket. Mine drips after driving, though. To that end, a mechanic once thought my PS pump was leaking because there was oil on the pump from the oil leak. The oil blows all over the place when the car is in motion, so make sure your PS leak is really PS fluid.

If the oil leak isn't dripping (mine is) I again wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Joe

FYI,

There was a recall on a '97 power steering hose clamp. I had it done way back when it was just announced.

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

Yes, that clamp is right against the steering pinion housing. My leak is over at the pump.

Dave

responsive?

Reply to
David Geesaman