Premature wearing on back tires

About 13,000 miles ago I bought a set up Dunlop Sport A2's for my 2000 Maxima. The back tires are completely bald and ready to go to the shop for another set of two for the rear. Upon diagnosis, the joe blow tire guy told me that the rear wheels are way off alignment; being the reason for the quick wearing away of tread. During the diagnosis, he labeled it specifically the 'tow'. I called my mechanic and he told me that there are no adjustments for the 2000 Maxima. He said that the factory sets it, and that is that. Does anyone know the deal with this and what a solution is?

Reply to
LACropCircles

If the rear toe-in is incorrect, and it isn't factory adjustable (I don't remember if it is or isn't), then there must be frame or suspension damage to have knocked it out of line.

Also, if the back tires are bald in 13,000 miles, there should have been at least 2 tire rotations in that period. You must rotate tires!!

Did Joe Blow give you an alignment printout (with a bunch of numbers?). If there is something knocked out of line, toe is probably not the only thing out of spec.

I'd take it somewhere else and have them inspect for the cause of the improper toe-in.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I had the tires rotated once at the 5k mark. Living the the era of rip-off thy customer, I am hoping someone here can tell me if I am looking at a major issue or if there is indeed an adjustment possible. I feel like each time I take it somewhere, I get a different story. Yes, I got the diagram with the tire angles etc.The back tow read as follows: Left rear : .90. Right rear : .35 with the thrust angle at .3. Hopefully this will help anyone in their answer. Even the Nissan dealers are telling me that they can't tell me anything without me greasing their palms with about a hundred bucks to 'inspect' the car.

Reply to
LACropCircles

Even the Nissan dealers are telling me that they

every day and say " I think I work for free today". I'll bet not

You don't expect to walk into a doctors office and tell him your not feeling good and have him diagnose your problem and not expect to pay him for it, it is no different for automotive technicians.

We work on what's called flat rate. In other words, If I spent all day diagnosing cars and the customer decides to take it down the road I make absolutely DICK for looking at it and I have just wasted a bunch of time I did not get paid for, Unless the service advisor charges a flat diagnosis fee, this helps the technician from getting screwed by customer that comes in just wanting to "kick the tires"and have us tell him what is wrong with the car so he can take it to Joe Blows Garage and have him fix it for less . If the customer decides to have me fix it then all the better.We charge by an industry standard set up in either the Motors or Chilton flat rate pricing guide.

BTW , Take it to the Nissan dealer and have them align it , will cost you around 59.95

and tow is spelled toe, like on your foot

Reply to
NissTech

I didn't realize my post would create such a surge in your blood. I apologize if my post offended you. I just feel that a hundred dollars to look at something is a little over my limit as far as appropriate customer service. Getting back to the point, can anyone tell me if there is the possibility of adjusting the toe (by the way, thanks for the correct spelling. I am not too car savvy). My issue with Nissan is that they should be able to tell me "yes, come in and we will adjust the toe because you are able to" or "No, that is not adjustable so we need to take an in depth look at it." I understand techs don't work for free and I appreciate the fact that a dollar earned is a dollar worked for. I wasn't eluding to anything else. Again, any answers or guidance would really help. $59.95 is not easy to come by with major expenses in your life. I am not looking for a free ride, just some education so I know what I may expect.

Reply to
LACropCircles