Q45 Smoke on startup (Steve T like the max you were talking about?)

I am looking at a 95 Q45 that gives a puff (small cloud) of blue smoke on startup, after it has run, it won't do it the rest of the day. I called an Infiniti dealer and I thought maybe valve guides, but they said they have not see valve guides go bad very often, and suggested I bring it to them to do a pre-buy inspection. I would have to take it on a 200 mile round trip to do that, and I don't think I want the car bad enough to take a whole day to have it inspected. He wants 6.5K for it and will take 6K If it has major engine problems,,,like rings, I sure as heck don't want it!

What is the general consensus here? Steve T you were having a converstion with a guy about a Maxima, that had similar problems, if you think that it's rings, I won't even bother to make an offer on it. OH and this was a lease vehicle for the first 32K miles of it's life too, like that Maxima you were talking about, it was a lease during the first part of it's life too! Thanks John

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Then don't buy it.

Do you think replacing the valve guides or even "just the seals" is going to be any cheaper? This isn't a pushrod V8... Just replacing the valve cover

-gaskets- on some Q45's is a major bitch.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks, After reading your post on the smoking Maxima. I figured you answer was going to be negative, so I told the guy I had decided to pass this one up. Thanks

2Maximas
Reply to
Bitsbucket