Quick A/C control question.

1996 Maxima

When the car is running and the A/C button is pressed, if you move the fan control switch from the off position to either position 1, or 2 or 3, I don't hear/feel the fan blowing air. Nothing but silence. For these three settings, the Green LED on the A/C button is now on.

Now when I hit position 4 on the switch, the air blasts (like it should on 4) and runs cold (so the A/C is working). Green A/C LED is also on.

So why won't the fan cut in on position 1,2, or 3? Is it simply a case of a bad fan switch, or is there another module/relay that's in the picture?

I took the whole console apart and removed everything to take a peek. It looks like the fan switch is a separate part, not sure.

Any ideas?

Reply to
+G

Sounds like the very common/typical fan speed control problem. Most report it during winter time when they can only get heat to blow in the highest position.

Usually it's a problem with the resistors that are in the duct work near the passenger's feet. It controls the blower and and when one of the resistors opens the fan only works in the one position.

Not a hard repair for the home mechanic.

+G wrote:

-- Address is NOT monitored due to SPAM volume from newsgroups. DO NOT REPLY to post directly.

Reply to
Don't Reply to this address

during winter time when they can only get heat to blow in the highest

If replacing the resistor fixes the problem, but the replacement resistor lasts a year (or less), then you need a new blower motor.

When the blower motor bearings begin to seize, the motor consumes more current, which puts more stress on the resistor.

Reply to
James M. Blaschak

Others have already answered your question - here are more details.

Here is the exact posting form the maxima.org forums:

Why does my A/C only work on fan speed 4?

There is a resistor assembly mounted on the air duct close to the blower motor. That part has failed. It is used to control fan speeds

1, 2, and 3. Speed 4 is the maximum blower motor speed, so no resistors are involved. Replacing the resistor assembly is something the home mechanic can do. The only tool needed is a Phillips screwdriver. The replacement part costs about US$25.

The blower motor is located just above the passenger's feet. Look at the wires leading away from the blower motor. Just inches away from the blower motor there is an electrical connector located on the air duct. That's the resistor assembly. It is easy to remove and replace.

Replacement is the usual remedy. However, if a spot of localized damage is seen it may be repaired with a soldering gun.

There is a good photo of the blower motor and resistor assembly in the Haynes repair manual, page 3-8. If you don't already have a copy of this book, please get one. It will be money well spent.

a) Move the front pass seat all the way back (for convenience) b) Remove a harness connector (with 4 wires I think) running into the bottom of the blower motor. c) Remove the 2 philips screws that hold the blower motor resistor in place. d) Put new one in, reverse install.

Blower Motor Resistor Part Number: 27150-1E405

You can get it here:

Should be $28 at your local dealer. It's $28 delivered from discount Nissan parts sites.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Thank you everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, my NNTP feed seems to miss the replys. Just googled it to see them. Thanks again, saved me $75/hr for a mechanic to change it.

Thank God for the Internet.

Reply to
Mr. 4 Sale

Installed, works fine now. Wish all parts were that easy!!! Thanks everyone.

Reply to
+G