Rear Brakes on a 1999 Maxima SE

Hello,

I have a 1999 Maxima SE and I am replacing the rear brakes. After turning the caliper piston for what seems like eternity, I still do not have it in enough to get it over the new brakes. My one question is: what's the secret to resetting the caliper?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Wild Thing Max

Push in while turning.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. My hand is a bit stiff from all of the turning, do you know if Kragen/Pep Boys/Auto Zone/other sells the caliper resetting tool or must I buy it from the dealer?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Wild Thing Max

Autozone didn't have one. The Advance Auto Parts did, for $6.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

If you have antilock brakes you may need to open the bleeder to get it back in.

Reply to
Jim

I use the kind that looks like a cube with different pin layouts on each face. It fits on the end of an extention and you can push/turn with a ratchet. Opening the bleeder is also helpful, especially if it has ABS. I have had tough ones that required a special tool that pushes harder than you can by hand but if it's that bad off, the caliper isn't really working right.

Reply to
Steve T

All,

Once I put a little force behind the turning the caliper reset just fine. The car is back together and the brakes work great.

Thanks for the help!

Richard

Reply to
Wild Thing Max