rear light fuse keeps blowing, and check engine light

hello everybody i have been have problem with 96 maxima first me fuse keep blowing for my rear lights i took it to the deal and they told me nothing was wrong and the if it did't happen while the car was there is was nothing they could do about it. does anyone have sugguestion on what that problem might be. And also my checkin engine will not go out for nothin i replace the knock sensor and something call a pressure sensor. and the light is still on i took it to the dealer and they are like is $86 and hour and they don't know how long it going to take to find the problem or if the will find the problem.i feel like i am being hustled by the dealer last time i was there they charged me $430 because they have all this special nissan equipment but yet they couldn't solve the problem. If anyone knows anywhere else i can go in the philly area or anything that i can do please help. Thank you

Reply to
cnel

The fuse could be a short in the wiring. Has the vehicle been in an accident? If so, check the wiring in that area. Another problem could be that something in the trunk wacked the wiring and created a short, take a close look around the trunk. Back to the accident thing, if it had been and it was the rear, maybe the taillight socket got messed up and the short is right there in the socket. In an extreme case, the short could be right inside a bulb, easy fix would be to just change all the rear taillight bulbs.

As to the Check Engine light, does your gas tank go, "ppsssssssss", when you open it? If it doesn't then the gas cap could be cracked and leaking air. The fuel system must be pressurized for the anti-pollution functions to work properly.

That's all the ideas I have. Anyone else?

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Remove all the tail light bulbs and check to see if any of the contacts have "grown" together which would create a short circuit. Sometimes the old bulbs' contacts flatten out and "grow" together due to age, pressure and heat. These contacts are made of a solder-like metal and are soft and will deform from the pressure the spring-loaded socket put on the bottom of the bulbs.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H