regular tapping metallic sound when clutch is not pressed

Hi. I have a 96 Maxima SE with 136k miles. Starting at about 134k miles, I started noticing a regular tapping metallic sound when the clutch is not pressed down (foot not on clutch pedal). I do not hear this sound when pressing down on the clutch. When the clutch is not pressed down, I can hear the sounds in all gears and even in neutral. Sound seems to varies with RPM (tapping sound increases as RPM increases).

I couldn't tell where the sound is coming from. I heard a similar sound once on this car a long time ago (at around 30k miles) when we used the wrong gasoline (89 octane) that causes the engine to start knocking. At first I thought it was the same problem (let a friend borrowed the car and he might have used the cheaper gas), but I have re-filled about 4 times since with 91/93 octane and the sounds is still here...

Ideas on what to check??? I replaced the spark plugs at ~60k but haven't replaced them since. Could that help?

Ben

Reply to
bag

Probably a dying throwout bearing. Nothing to easily inspect - the tranny needs to be dropped and a full clutch job be done. This tranny doesn't have any inspection windows worth speaking about.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

I read that the throwout bearing only start spinning when the clutch pedal is pressed. I don't have any tapping sound when I press on the clutch all the way. But when the pedal is all the way up, I hear the sounds. Wouldn't this indicate the problem is something else???

Ben

Reply to
bag

Yes, people always "hope" it's the throwout bearing when this happens because that is the CHEAPEST thing it could be. What you are describing is a noise inside the gearbox itself, probably an internal bearing that is coming apart. Cheapest solution is a used gearbox.

Reply to
Steve T

Maybe. The t/o bearing can make noise when it's unloaded, or loaded. It's probably a bearing on that input shaft axle - since applying the clutch produces a stabilizing force on it. When the tranny is out and the t/o can be inspected, you'll know whether to go further and swap trannys or crack yours open.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman