Reliable Online Stores...

Hi, I am looking for any reliable online store for ordering of Nissan Parts... please let me know if you have any favorites and must-avoids...

I need to replace the ignition coils on my 2000 Max, how can i validate that the product i buy isn't the one that was defective - any specific part numbers or similar things to watch out...

thanks, ravi

Reply to
Ravi

Jerry Rome nissan, Pinnacle Nissan, etc. All great parts houses with excellent prices and genuine Nissan parts.

you need to order the new coils with the "grey" dot on them - thats the updated design for the 5th Gen maximas.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I've had good luck with

JimV

Thats another good one - I found them to be less customer friendly than courtesy and their website wasn't the easiest to find parts on - their search is only useful for certain parts of if you know the specific Nissan part number.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I got the parts online and when i started the installation, noticed that the coils that are already installed have the "grey" dot. I double checked the TSB at

and i assume my VIN JN1CA31D8YT...... is before JN1CA31D91T... (specified in the TSB). I haven't removed the existing coils yet to verify the part numbers... but generally wondering whether i already have the new coils.

what is the meaning of the grey dot ??

thanks, ravi

Reply to
Ravi

The grey dot indicates the coil-packs were updated to fix the problem with the original batch installed from the factory in the 2k Maximas.

In your original post, you claimed to need new coil packs.. what led you to that diagnosis?

I have not heard of the grey-dotted coils failing prematurely.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 132k
Reply to
njmodi

I had the symptoms for the same:

  1. SES light, and then rough running of the engine (with little shaking)
  2. Code read from the computer was P1320 -- ignition coil issues.
  3. my VIN Number is JN1CA31D8YT...... and the TSB says anything prior to JN1CA31D91T... could have this problem...

hence i decided it must be the coils...

but after i got the coils, i went to install it, at that time, i see that the grey dot is already in there.... tomorrow, i will pull out one of the ignition coils to check the part number...

thanks, ravi

Reply to
Ravi

Did you see that all 6 coils had the gray dot? It seems as though you are not the original owner, so perhaps the original owner only replaced a few of the 6.

The part numbers for the coils won't tell you anything. The grey dot on the top of the coil is the telltale sign that it is the updated part.

Check to see if all 6 have grey dots. If the car is still exhibiting the same driving symptoms, just swap out the coils with your new ones.

How many miles on your Max?

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

i am the original owner. I had the same doubt as well. But checked all 6 of them have the grey dots... And even yesterday, it exhibited the same problem - of shaking and rough engine...

i have little less than 50k miles on them...

thanks, ravi

Reply to
Ravi

Then the dealer must have replaced them under warranty at some point. I don't think the grey-dot coils were ever installed from the factory - but I'm not 100% certain.

Just swap out the coils and see if that fixes the problem.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

"I had the symptoms for the same: "1· SES light? and then rough running of the engine (with little shaking)

2· Code read from the computer was P1320 ?? ignition coil issues· 3· my VIN Number is xxxxxxxxxxxxx?? and the TSB says anything prior to xxxxxxxxxx? could have this problem?"

- Dont always trust the error codes. Bad contacs can produce 'any' code... Rough running may have lots other causes. Check 'Favorite Links' on link below.

- I suggest u edit your VIN code off. Thieves are interested in them.

Reply to
Wiikinki

I did swap out the coils and the engine has been running smoothly for a week now... does this mean:

a. "gray dot" doesn't indicate that the coil is the flawless ones or b. "gray dotted" flawless coils can also go bad and lead to SES light...

I almost sure that the dealer did not replace the ignition coils...

+ravi

njmodi wrote:

Reply to
Ravi