replacing the BOSE system in my maxima

Hi people,

I want to replace my bose system in my 01 Maxima SE. I am not at all pleased with the sound compared to my 95 Maxima SE.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Devils Advocate

What don't you like about the 01 Maxima BOSE? Did your 95 Maxima have Bose? If so, then I know exactly what you're feeling.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yes the 95 Maxima have bose as well, and the sound in my 95 blows away the

01 Maxima. Like chalk and cheese!! I tell ya that was one area they didn't improve.

I will be replacing the entire system. Apparently I need a special harness at a cost of 70 bucks.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

If you are completely replacing the Bose, then no special adapter is needed. Just replace everything. The adapter is needed if, say, you want to keep the Bose speakers and replace the Bose head unit or vice versa.

When I had my 98 Maxima, I replaced the Bose head unit with an aftermarket clarion, then used the PD4 interface from

to interface the clarion with the rest of the Bose speaker system which remained intact.

Part of the reason that the Bose in the 01 Maxima suffered is because they went to the single woofer or subwoofer in the rear speaker shelf. The 99 and below maximas had 2 speakers dedicted to bass on the rear shelf.

That link to

doesn't seem to work right now, but it used to be the best Bose adapter. For one thing, all of the other Bose adapters I've seen adapt the already amplified signal, which would tend to increase distortion because the adapter would inevitably introduce another amplifier. So an audio signal is un-necessarily amplified twice.

The PD4 kept things clean and only amplified once. It was a bit pricey, and then again, it was quality. My already great sounding Bose system in my 98 Maxima sounded even better. The quality really went up because the Bose head unit was a bit of a weak link. The Bose CD player had and adequate D/A converter and the newer combo of Clarion with much higher quality D/As pumping thru the PD4 gave the system new life.

The PD4 was a little on the pricey side, and the system did not get more powerful, but it did sound way better. It was all about quality.

CD

Reply to
codifus

[...]

Do you think if I replaced just the cd unit w/ a new cd/dvd full screen unit it would improve the sound? Afterall Bose is really good quality speaker.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

You can probably answer the question yourself. Does the system sound good now? When I upgraded my system, it already sounded good. It just got better:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

quality is impressive, loudness is not.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

The Bose system was not designed to blow out eardrums. If that's what you're after I suggest you gut it and replace the wiring and speakers and put a good amp on your new headunit.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman