rough idle after spark plug change

Hi, everyone. I need your expert advice!

I have a 97 gle with 68k. When I was replacing spark plug on cyl. 5 I lifted EVAP purge valve and bent the tubes for easy access. Well, after replacing all plugs, engine idles funny. I used NGK plugs from local Nissan dealer. Bending tubes can mess up EVAP stuff?

Engine idles OK after cold start. Once I get out of driveway and stop at first stop sign, I get this very annoying occasional 'kick' which feels like a loud drum kick. It feels like the beginning of stalling. Moving my automatic gear to N seems to reduce it, though. If I keep the gear at D at stop, the kick sometimes repeats every 1-2 secs. I scan the code and got 0304 (knock sensor). There's no metallic sound so I assumed it's not a really knock, but, this 'kick' triggers the sensor. I am a newbie so I could be wrong.

Well, I also noticed faint sound coming from somewhere close to the EVAP canister. It's not a hissing sound. I haven't heard the sound before, but, it's possible I'm just noticing it now. So, my question is that the tubes/valves/canister generate sound level which can be heard w/o any aid? If so, how it should sound?

Reply to
QK

Have you figured out the problem? I had te same thing happen after getting a tune-up at Pep Boys and they used bosch plaitnum plugs and I am learning from this site those are cheap plugs. I took it back to Pep Boys the day after they did the tune-up and they saw nothing, 2 weeks later they did a diagnostic and there is something they say happening with the injectors but a code is not coming up and they aren't capable of checking each injector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Ttime

Get someone to install the correct NGK plus and you're problem will be solved. Bosch platinums aren't "cheap" (except compared to NGK platinums..), they are just junk and don't work right in any car that I know of.

Reply to
Steve T

Perhaps these guys did something silly and TQ the plugs down way too much. I install mine myself and the TQ spec is 16-22 ft-lbs for the

95-99 Max, a lighter pressure than you would think is needed to secure the plugs into the head. Ask 'em how much they TQed the plugs to. If they don't know, then it was probably too much.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask them and if they don't know or if it's too far down, do I have them put it at 16-22ft?

Reply to
Ttime

Yup. remove (hopefully without problems) the plug and re-install at

16-22 ft-lbs of torque.

CD

Reply to
codifus

How is changing the torque going to change how it runs? the few thousands difference in depth are not going to change anything. They will be easier to change next time though.

Reply to
JimV

You could be right, but then I have Platinum +2s running in my wifes 96 Altima. Torqued perfectly by me and they've been running fine for the past 20K miles. He may need to just dump the Bosch plugs and switch back to NGK Platinums (Torqued 16-22 ft=lbs!:))anyhow because the Maxima's ignition system is more sophisticated, and possibly more sensitive.

CD

Reply to
codifus

It's -imposible- for that to make any difference in the way a car runs, unless they broke them installing them. The problem IS the bosch plugs!!!!!

Reply to
Steve T

Hey Steve

Do you th>

Reply to
Roger

Well, I bought some NGK plugs and my husband and I are going to put them in this evening. So I will let you all know how it turns out.

Reply to
Ttime

Can't say, given the plats look like new at 90K when they are pulled, I can't imagine these others lasting any better!

Reply to
Steve T

I did a readup on DENSO and NGKs iridium website. ironically, iridiums only last half as long as plats. Apparently the technology of iridiums can only be fully exploited if the engine was designed for it in the 1st place. NGK plats are still best for longevity in the Maxima . .by design:) NGK Coppers are best for cheapeness.

CD

Reply to
codifus

What is the advantage?

Reply to
Steve T

They are harder than platinum, so you can make a smaller tip that will last a reasonably long time. The smaller tip would make for better combustion and cleaner emissions. On cars designed for iridium, they can last around 120K miles, so its biggest advantage is durability . . .when a car is designed for it.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

O.K., we put NGK spark plugs on and it runs the same. What should we do next?

Thanks

Reply to
Ttime

Now I'm confused, you said they last half as long as plats but last 120K?

Reply to
Steve T

If you put iridiums in the Maxima, which was designed for plats, the iridiums will only last half as long as the NGK plats that the Maxima was designed for. There's a Toyota, I believe, that comes OEM with iridiums. On that car the plugs can last up to 120K miles. In other words Toyota designed that engine with the iridiums in mind. Perhaps the way heat is extracted from the cylinder head is changed, threading on the plug is longer or shorter, etc.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

I have been following this and related threads for a while....

Finally cured my rough idle problem today... broke down and replaced all coils and the plugs with new NGK's. Problem gone... and so is about $400. Most expensive sparkplug change I ever did....

Reply to
WingNut

Thanx..

Reply to