serpentine belt squeal

On start up when cold & damp I'm getting a terible squeal from my serpentine belt. The belt is only four months old as I had it replaced when my alternator died. After warmup squeal disapears. I think I may have to tighten up the slack adjuster. Any other sugestions and or links to how I do this? james

Reply to
james

A new belt will often stretch and 'settle in' a little after the first few hundred miles. It just needs tightening a little.

Reply to
Microstar

Jack up the car and SECURELY position SAFE supports. You are going to be working under the car. How's this for a visual: frequently people don't die by being crushed; they die after the load is taken off them, and they quickly bleed to death internally.

Pull off the wheel and take off the splash shield to gain access to the belt. Loosen the idler pulley (the bolt in the middle of it). Tighten the adjuster from above. Don't overdo it, it stresses all the bearings of the accessories. You should still have 1/4 inch or so deflection in the longest span of the belt with moderate thumb pressure. If it continues to squeal, then the belt is now damaged & must be replaced.

Retighten the idler bolt.

JM

Reply to
JM

My instructions are for the 4th gen Maxima 95-99. But I went back & re-read your posting & you didn't actually specify what year.

What year is it, someone here can help.

JM

Reply to
JM

Sorry to all of you this would be an 1995 maxima rolled of the assembly line late 94

Reply to
james