signs of air intake leak??

i have a 99 max GLE with 85k. just about 30 minutes ago I finished installing a K&N cone filter to my intake system using the "ghetto" method of using parts from inside the airbox to rig the filter onto the adaptor. Instructions from the DIY page on the org said to seal the edges with tape to prevent air leakage. I did the best that I could, but am still weary of an air leak. Any telltale signs of an air leak?

o yea, the car sounds great, nice and throaty from 3k and on.. not ricey at all.

Reply to
99blackmax

Tom S

He's unlikely to see much improvement, if any. The cone will give him 5-7 extra horsies though.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

167,884 miles

Reply to
Bill G

I haven't really noticed any changes in the fuel economy. I've been stepping on it til 5.5k for so much just enjoying it that I've burned a lot. With an intake your fuel economy gets worse. As for performance, not really a huge gain, but a gain nonetheless. I felt my car just wanting to rev higher.

Installation wise, there were a few bumps here n there, but I improvised.

(1) taking out the clip on the MAF sensor, there is a little green tab that actually has an arrow pointing inwards. Push the green tab adn pull, the MAF sensor comes right out. (2) I used the gold plate that is attached to the top of the stock airbox to attach to the cone filter and then the intake tubing on the car itself. There are two nubs holding it in. Get a flathead and a hammer and try to hammer it out. You will crack your airbox a bit, but then you really won't want it back afterwards.

but going back to my original question. Does anyone know obvious signs of air leakage? shoudl I be getting a CEL by now?

Reply to
99blackmax

As long as the air leak is on the filter side of the mass airflow sensor you are good to go. I would make sure that there are no leaks just to keep unfiltered air out. On the other side of the mass airflow sensor you could have problems since it is where the air gets metered. If there is a leak between the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body the car will not run correctly. It would llde fine but as soon as you are on the gas the car would stumble due to the un-metered air entering the system. I ahve seen older fuel injected cars with cracked hoses that have problems but you should be fine if you just raplaced the stock filter housing with a cone type. Again, I would make sure there are no paths for dirt to enter the system. The old way was to spray, lightly, carburetor cleaner around the point of concern, while the engine is running, and see if the RPMs pick up. I would go lightly with this and have someone wiht a fire extinguisher at the ready. Also, note that you will be spraying close to the new filter and if the spray gets to the filter the RPMs would pickup and that would deceive you.

99blackmax wrote:

Reply to
Jon Smith