Squeaky suspension

I have a 2000 Maxima with a squeaky suspension. I have been spraying various fittings with WD-40, and I think that the noises are mostly coming from the sway-bar ends. Every time it rains the WD-40 gets washed away and I have to spray again. Any thoughts on a more permanent lubricant? I hate to just slather the fittings with grease because that would hold a lot of dirt.

Reply to
Rick

As you found out WD-40 is not a permanent lube. I would either try a silicone spray (which would protect rubber) or something called SlideAll, which is a teflon powder with dispursant that drys without oily residue.

Reply to
David Efflandt

WD-40 is -not- a lubricant. It's a water dispersant hence the name WD-40. All it does is wash away any lubricant that was there before you sprayed it! It's about as much of a lubricant as kerosene would be.

The most common place for squeaks is the rubber bushings where the sway bars mount to the frame. We remove these mounts and use waterproof sythetic grease on them. Now because you've been spraying the end links, they may be dry of lube and be squeaking?

< I hate to just

And WD-40 washes out any real lubricant that was there before. You'll need to inject some lube into the end links to keep them quiet if that's the noise or replace them.

Reply to
Steve T

It's probably just moving the real lubricant that is there (factory grease) into the friction area for a short period of time. Keep it up and you'll wash every bit of real lube out of the hinge and wear it out. A real lubricant shouldn't need to be applied more often then about every few years. There are plenty of spray greases that thicken when they "dry" that work much better for this sort of thing.

Actually I love people using WD-40 as a lube, I get to replace all the parts that get worn out from doing this. It's about the worst lube or rust penetrant of anything on the market today.

He tested a bunch of greases, WD-40 was worse than the parts being used dry!

Explains it's basically something like kerosene with aprox 10% oil/lubricant. It's a 50 year old formula that was designed to disperse water and help prevent rust.

It's a really crappy lubricant for anything that has any sort of pressure, like a door hinge.

Reply to
Steve T

if it's not a lubricant how does it fix my squeeky door hinges?

Reply to
Secret Agentman

WD-40 in fact IS a lubricant... just as kerosene is! Even water is a lubricant... I'd bet his squeaking bushings stop in wet weather.

Problem is that water drys up and WD-40 and Kerosene drys up and/or washes away. WD-40 isn't a terrificaly good lubricant, but it is a lubricant. Buddywh

Reply to
BuddyWh

As you've found, the WD-40 is lubricating the bushing to make the squeaking stop... but it won't last long. Any lubricant you put on it will eventually dry up and wash away, some may take a little longer but none will last satisfactorily.

You may not like to hear this but the fix for squeaking bushings is to replace the bushings. Be sure to get quality bushings with a dry lubricant molded into the rubber so that this doesn't happen again.

If you also want to firm up the handling of your Max this would be a great time to get urethane rubber bushings. Again, be sure to get the lubricated type (they are a darker red color than the non-lubricated type) and your Max will stay squeak-free, firm handling and "tight" for as long as the engine will last. Which can be a long time!

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Fill the oil pan of the engine with water and lets see how long it lasts. :-)

The point was this "lubricant" doesn't have enough pressure resistance for this application therefor it isn't acting as a lubricant for this application. For something like a throtle cable it might be fine but for anything with pressure on it, it's useless.

Reply to
Steve T

Do you realise many of these cars don't have a bushing per say but are using ball socket type -metal- links for the swap bar end links? Be kinda hard to replace them with "self-lubricating" type of bushing and using a low pressure lubricant that evaporates -is- a bad idea...

Reply to
Steve T

Not as long as filling with kerosene... but longer than with no lubricant at all I'd imagine ;-))

But, as Rick pointed out, it does work... for a while, until it washes out, so this isn't it's problem. My point is, any lubricant will squeeze or wash out, leaving the squeak, possibly even worse than before. The only real solution is to replace the hardened bushing with a "self-lubricating" type of bushing.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh