Status of 95 Maxima Stalls

Just got my 95 Max out of the Nissan dealer's shop.

The EGR passages were clogged,

-cost for repair---$475.75

One Air Filter,

-cost for replacement---$14.00

knowing how to do the repairs yourself,

-PRICELESS

Also the Nissan Service Tech said the Air Flow Meter failed and needed replacing, he read no conductivity through it and figured the clogged EGR system initially caused its failure.

-cost for repair---$606.00

cant afford that repair right now, the car continues to exhibit stalling problems.

any suggestions on replacing the part myself?, does anyone know if the job would be too intense for the average do-it-yourselfer? The Nissan technician seemed to have suggested the labor was fairly simple and relatively quick but the part was the bulk of the expense.

Reply to
MadNeighbors

First, the egr injects exhaust gases in the back of the intake manifold plenum, downstream of the mass air flow sensor. There is no way that exhaust gases are going to go through the mafs and damage it.

Second, if you really do need or want to change the mafs, it is not that hard to get a used one for less than $100 and replace it yourself.

Third, what symptoms indicate the need to replace it?

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Steve, The symptoms that indicated the MAF other than the stalling symptoms desribed earlier, were the nissan technician's indication that the "air flow meter" code pulled up when he ran a diagnostic. I've heard of another person that had similar problems (rough idle, stalling at idle once warmed up, stops, hesitates, etc.)with their Max, and replaced the MAF among other things and it did not solve the problem.

Could the throttle body need cleaning? and also could the catlytic converter be clogged?,..would anyone of these two also cause the stalling problems? Just trying to stay ahead of it somehow in case the MAF doesn't do it. Any help anyone?

Reply to
MadNeighbors

Hmmmm, MAF? I don't know. First, the 95-99 Maximas have pretty much bullet proof MAFs. They hardly ever die, if at all. Replace the cheaper stuff 1st. When's the last time this car had a basic tuneup? the replacement of the air filter suggests a wee bit of neglect. Do the spark plugs and I guess maybe the EGR valve.

I can't tell you the answer but the MAF would be the very very very last thing I would consider.

Oh, also, possibly a vacuum leak from one of the hoses?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Well - we never heard back from you - so did the MAF fix your problem?

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 119k
Reply to
njmodi