Steering front control arms and linkage components

Recently my 95 Maxima started pulling to the right after I first drive off from being stopped. I took it to the dealer and they said that the steering front control arms and linkage components were shot and the front suspension can't take it. They told me if they use all Nissan parts the entire job is like $1400, however for this problem they can use after market parts and the job would be 1/2 of that or less. Does anyone know about this type of a problem and is it urgent to fix? I just got a $1300 brake job from the dealer-I needed a complete brake job-rotors, front brake hardware, emergency brake cables-the works (Pep Boys did the first brake job and messed it up-I got my money back), so I'm not ready to spend this kind of money right now. Also, after the brake job my brakes are still going out on me and when I took it back to the dealer they said that until I get my coils and injectors fixed (cleaned out-oil leaked into them-another job Pepe Boys messed up-they did a tune-up and this happened-my brake booster will not work prorperly and that will continue to happen. Does this make sense? They said that job would be about $450. Please help!

Reply to
Ttime

The ball joints on the control arms could indeed be shot and the steering linkages may be worn also. But are the both in need of repair?

Just FYI, I got control arms (Nissan) for $175 each. I think steering end links are $80 each. Figure about 4-5 hours for install and then factor in an alignment.

Sounds like you are sure paying a lot for car repair. Definitely get more estimates! I would also seriously consider selling the car. Even with the $1300 you just spent. There is a lot of things that go wrong on a car of that age (coil packs, radiator, water pump seals, rear main seal, alternator, starter, struts/shocks, etc.)--you are looking at potentially more work$ than the car is worth.

CW

Reply to
CW

Is this a 5 speed or an auto?

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Well, not all of those things are going to go out, and a new or newer car will cost $300-$400 a month, which is far more than repairing this one.

FWIW, my '91 Max has the original radiator, rear main seal, starter, and struts. Of course I've replaced the water pump (twice actually), but the car's got 168,000 miles on it (it's supposed to be replaced that often). And the alternator cost a whopping $69 and took nearly an entire hour to install.

Short of a major repair, like a tranny rebuild, or a new engine, it's always cheaper to repair an older car than buy a new one. This guy's problem is that he isn't doing any of the repair work himself, and compounding it by paying far too much for someone else to do them.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

167,884 miles (just checked)

Reply to
Bill G