STEERING PROBLEMS

My maxima seems to have a lot of play in the steering wheel and don't know what might be causing it. I had the car aligned to try to solve the problem but still have the same problem. I also had a mechanic check out the suspension but checked out ok,although I did have a new steering rack put in about a year ago. Any maxima owners experience the same problem?????

any suggestions

Reply to
JREYES

What year Maxima? I can only speak for 4th gens (95-99) based on my 97.

I have a 97 with 128k that feels like there is play in the wheel at high speeds. Mostly it feels whenever I go over slightly bumpy or wavy pavement, the car does not hold its line well. It's been getting gradually worse over the last 50k. So far I have had the steering rack tension adjusted ($$), rack bushings replaced, tie rod end replaced, replaced struts and springs, and 3 alignments and 2 sets of tires. Some good shops have given it a clean bill of health. The front tires wear substantially faster ($$), which really hurts the wallet.

My final suspicion is ball joints and/or control arm bushings. Most mechanics can't really check them since they're buried inside a joint, and maybe too because the tremendous forces on them during driving cause different results than a simple pry test. I think you should start here first.

Although aftermarket urethane bushings exist and ball joints are separately replaceable, it takes quite a bit of grunt to get those pieces changed out. The price of new Nissan control arm assemblies are a good value since you can get them on Ebay for $100/ea and have new bushings and joints. If the car has 100k on it, it would also be a good time to have them pull the CVs and put new boots on them.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

My max is also a 97 with 123k.I have replaced all the struts and also gave it several alignments and all the cv boots replaced,but the front end noise seems to be just getting worse.I have read on other web sites of people who own maxima's and have also experinced a lot of front end noise problems.I guess it's a common thing. Well I'll take your advise on having the ball joints/control arms looked at.thnx for the advise.

Reply to
JREYES

Noise, or play?

Clicking noise often comes from the bearings that fit between the top of the front strut and frame. These will click as you turn the steering wheel at very low speeds (parking).

Squeaking often comes from the rubber bushing that wraps around the front sway bar. Replace that.

Play comes from: tie rod ends (inner and outer), ball joint play, bushing play/wear, poor alignment.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

actually both: noise(bumpy road) and play(steering).

good info

Reply to
JREYES

On my 95 I had rt. front wheel bearing wear out long ago. I could not even get the dealer to look at it in 3 tries (even when I told them that wheel/tire had noticeable play). I finally had it replaced by independent garage, but by then they also had to replace axle damaged by the loose bearing.

The only other thing I have done with suspension was replace both front lower control arms at same time as struts, because they said a bushing had migrated. My suspension is still tight after over 10 yrs (purchased May

94) and 112K miles (including autocross competition).
Reply to
David Efflandt

When I was listing the things that contribute to front end play, I knew I forgot one.

Did your wheel bearing display play with the front end lifted, and did it make noise? Or were you going by steering feel alone?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman