Steering Wheel Shake

On our 2000, the wheel was shaking pretty good during braking (also, feel it in your seat), so we had the rotors replaced. Still shaking. It is inconsistent also, worse at some times than others. Tried different wheels on the front, in case the wheels were warped-no change. Any ideas? Ed

Reply to
Ed

Did you try getting the wheels balanced?

Typically puslating/shaking during braking is from warped rotors - but you have already had them replaced. What brand rotors did you use? Were the pads replaced at the same time?

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 120k
Reply to
njmodi

Wheels were rebalanced. Pads were not replaced. Mechanic doesn't think the pads would cause the problem. He said the pads have more than half there thickness.

Reply to
Ed

Hmm... not a good idea IMHO to replace the rotors without replacing the pads... the thickness isn't the only thing... if the pads have worn unevenly (may be hard to tell just by looking at them), they are going to cause vibrations on your new rotors ... again, what rotors were used as replacements?

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Check for rust or anything else on the rotor/flange faying surfaces and cause shimmy.

Reply to
BuddyWh

Got the car back today. My mechanic rotated the rotors on the hubs to reduce the run-out. He does not have the machine to shave the rotors in place on the hubs, but he thinks that may be what's required. It is much better since he did the rotor adjustment, but not perfect. I'll see if there's a place near me (I'm out in the country with few garages nearby) that can do the rotor cutting on the car. I don't know what brand of rotors were put on.

Reply to
Ed

the new rotors you installed are warped and need to be resurfaced, chances are all you needed to do is resurface the old rotors and install new factory OEM pads and all would be well

Reply to
NissTech

Sounds to me like these rotors aren't seating right on the hub. New rotors should not be warped, nor should they require on-car machining.

If I were the mechanic, I would take off the rotors (really not that hard) and wire brush the face of the hub and rotor that touch each other. As well, I'd resinstall the pads with a new set of shim hardware.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman