Steve or NissTech EGR&Knock sensor problems

Hi Guys, I'm getting a CEL (96 SE with 138K miles) that is indicating a problem with the knock sensor and the EGR....are they usually related? Would the EGR problem cause the kncok sensor problem, or am I looking at 2 unique problems? Thanks, Bitsbucket Oh, and if it is the EGR should I try cleaning or replacement, I had seen you tell someone else here to clean the connection ports to the EGR that the upper manifold had to be removed...is there a way to check it first? I don't want to pull the manifold if it is not nessessary, and if the ports are clogged, is there any way to run a flexable cleaning tool through it like a flexable rifle bore cleaning rod rather than remove the upper manifold....I have some gun cleaning kits that have flexable bore rods....

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Oh, I may not be here to get the answer, as I am in the strike zone for Francis.....may have to RUN! If I do I'll be in Atlanta, I may come buy ans see your shop Steve....where are you located? Didn't you say your around Conyers??? I'll have my 97 Max with me and would like to get you to look at it. (The 96 SE is my daughters) Thanks Bitsbucket

manifold....I

Reply to
Bitsbucket

The knock sensor CEL is often tripped by other sensors. A bad knock sensor is also not a problem in the short term, expensive to replace. So it's a good idea to trace/solve the other CEL (EGR in your case) and wait to see if the Knock sensor throws codes on its own, later.

manifold....I

I don't have my FSM with me, so my best suggestion is groups.google.com and maxima.org to see if it's been covered before.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

im in the path too bits.

I'll get back to ya on this one

I will be boarding up tomorrow

manifold....I

Reply to
NissTech

FWIW, I know three people (including myself) who have had bad knock sensors on this generation of Maximas. Seems to have a limited lifespan.

For future reference, I was able to replace the sensor without removing the intake manifold by using the right combination of ratchet extensions and universal joints.

Reply to
Joe

Nope probably has both problems, the knock sensor doesn't set the CEL.

The CEL is being caused by the EGR, probably a clogged intake passage.

It's not the valve itself, it's the passge in the intake.

Not really, that's the only problem I've seen so far though.

No.

BTW the knock sensor might just need the connections cleaned.

Reply to
Steve T

Nope, in scottdale, near decatur area. See the map at our website.

Reply to
Steve T

So Nissan decided to have the computer NOT throw a CEL for a knock sensor, but it will throw a CEL for a EGR? In other words I could have been driving around with a bad knock sensor, not see a CEL and then when the EGR valve had a problem, it threw a code and I saw both codes, with my Digimoto computer analyzer, but it was initially set by the EGR valve?

So, I need to check the problems as independent problems, not as a combination problem?

If the passages are clogged, the upper manifold MUST be removed to clean? Do I have to remove the lower intake manifold?

What is the MOST common problem? Clogged passages, or a problem with the EGR valve itself?

Knock sensor is expensive, other than the check in the manual is there anything else I can do?

Thanks John

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Exactly. The knock sensor isn't an emmisions control device.

Yep.

Yep. It's not -that- hard to do it. You have to clean out the pipe going to it as well.

No.

I've never seen a valve bad and cleaned dozens of upper intakes and pipes.

Again clean the connectors on the sensor and install a new plug on the end of the harness and see if it resets the code for it. If it does, the sensor is dead. BTW this causes the timing to default to the retarded position and causes a loss of performance and MPG.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
John

it's not going to be something most people would notice. It just operates in "regular gas" mode all the time. Many people are too cheap to buy good gas so it might not matter?

Reply to
Steve T