Strut Tower Brace. AC clearance?

I just got a Strut Tower Brace from Courtesy Nissan. Easy installation on my `95 (I used maxima.org instructions). I could really tell the difference. My first impression was the car actually felt sporty.

Anyway, when I was done with the installation, the left side barely cleared a metal AC hose.

During my first drive there was a rattling sound on hard right turns. When I was done, the AC hose was touching the brace. I'll try to create some clearance there. Have you encountered this? How much clearance was required to get it quiet? Would stuffing some kind of insulation in between help?

Also how much would I tighten the "pivot" bolts between the bar and the brace? I assumed enough to keep them from loosening, but not required (or possible) to stop the bar from pivoting slightly at each end. These are the 14mm head nut, and 8mm socket head bolt that attach the bar to each strut tower bracket.

Thx, David

Reply to
David

Spoke to Steve at Courtesy Nissan, and my questions are answered. I bent the hose out of the way. It's still a mystery why it had a little clearance (maybe 2mm) when I first installed it, but was touching the brace after a little sprited driving.

Reply to
David

What were their answers to the other questions? TIA Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

bent the hose out of

2mm) when I first installed it,
Reply to
BeeP

Not to crank down hard on the bracket-to-bar bolts. Don't tighten them so much the bracket deforms to meet the bar. Makes sense to me: that's what I thought.

It's normal to have to move the metal AC hose a little. BTW, I saw a photo the yesterday of a different STB that looked like it wouldn't interfere there. It was easy to bend the hose out of the way though.

Steve was surprised to hear about the hose clearing at first, then touching after first drive. It didn't seem so surprising to me, but I don't have his experience with this stuff. I installed the bar under a little compression (per the maxima.org instructions) and it makes sense that things would "settle" a little.

The questions I forgot to ask: Does this installation affects alignment? Would affect it less if you installed the bar "unloaded" instead of pushing out a little?

Reply to
David

hose out of

I first installed it,

A FSTB makes such a difference on a Maxima that it is a crying shame Nissan doesn't put one on. So much for "4 door sports car."

I don't know about bending the a/c pipe, but you can unbolt it and move it a bit out of the way. You sure don't want metal to metal contact here.

The bar ought to be tight enough not to rotate. A slight (permanent) pivot can help those who need a little hood clearance.

JM

Reply to
JM

It could. Depends how much compressions you put on it.

It will not effect alignment at all if the bar is installed "unloaded".

Reply to
E. Meyer

I noticed the same issue. I tried wrapping the hose rather than bending it, but bending it was the answer. It was tricky to figure out since the noise didn't begin immediately after adding the brace, and I only got the noise when the engine was torquing on its mounts.

Dave

my `95 (I used

impression was the

cleared a metal AC hose.