Suspect MAF Sensor problems / stalling, hesitation etc? TRY THIS FIRST! (Gen4)

Hi All, I posted a previous thread about my stalling / hesitation problem with a Gen4 MAF sensor. I found out that the problem would temporarly go away if I disconnected and reconnected the plug. I took off the sensor and removed the four screws around the plug. After a little wiggle, the plug came out. Inside, there were three leads that were supposed to be soldered to the circuit board inside the sensor. So, if the plug came out at all, it aparently wasn't soldered very well, was it? If you look at the top of the sensor, you will see a flat area about 2 inches square. Around the outside, there is a very well hidden rubber seal. Scrape off the rubber seal and pry open the top of the sensor, exposing the circuit board. SOLDER THE LEADS BACK ON. Reseal the top of the sensor with silicon sealer, reinstall the sensor and POW!... It is fixed! I wonder how many $488.00 MAF sensors have been replaced because of cold or bad solder joints on the inside of that plug! To me, it seems that these solder joints are a weakness in design, as the connections are at a right angle, and subject to failure of this type with vibration, etc... Anyway, it certainly wont hurt to try this first, if you are looking at replacing it anyhow...

One other thing, I started running premium gas and I am getting such better gas milage that it is well worth the difference in price.

-Bill Roman

Reply to
caterpillar

You might want to cross-post that to maxima.org if it hasn't been suggested already.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

..

Nice tip on the MAS and finally someone who understands why cheap gas doesn't save money on those cars!

Reply to
Steve T

I am a new member of maxima.org and they wont let me start a new thread there. I think you need five replys before you can post a new topic (spam prevention). If you like, go ahead and post it under your name and reference that it came from me. :)

-Bill Roman

Reply to
caterpillar

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing this: Putting in regular gas will cause the engine to knock, fireing off the knock sensor. The computer then retards the timing to protect the engine. With retarded timing, you get less power which causes you to press down on the gas pedal harder to make the car go, thus using more gas... With premium gas, not only is the timing not retarded, but the proper timing also increases over all engine performance, which requires even less gas to mak it go fast. Right? Bill Roman

Reply to
caterpillar

Bingo!

You got it.