Symptoms of O2 sensor problem?

I recently posted a strange overheatng prob with my 2001 max gle 64k. When gauge would start to climb I would turn ignitio off then immedietely re-start and gauge would drop very quickly to normal position only to do the same thing after a few miles. Now I got a code after the service engine light cam on that ihdicates an O2 problem. I dont remember which one it was bt would like to know what the symptoms are for this and if it is something that I could do myself as I am fairly handy with car related things. I am having very poor mileage{ about 14 mpg city and highway mixed} and lately when first starting car it will hesitate and chug for about half a mile then clear up. Also occasional stalling at idle. Whats a "ballpark" estimate on the cost of said item with and without labor ? God bless you guys. Always great info from this group. Thank You! p.s. would the O2 have anthing to do with overheating? I changed the thermostat and flushed system before this code came up Always use premium gas

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

The first question is "is it really overheating?". Could just be a bad sender.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
AZV14

My first thought to, but do not like the chugging, poor gas mileage, and stalling issue - that would not be caused by a bad sensor.

Another, and less dire thought - could the new therostat be bad, or possibly you >T>> I recently posted a strange overheatng prob with my 2001 max gle 64k.

Reply to
AZV14

Reply to
i need help

It is defnitely overheating. The plastic overflow starts to rise up and bubble. The other quest. was about the thermostat installed backwards. My mechanic installed it and flushed system. Ironically the weather has been scorching hot the last week or so and have not had one episode of overheating. Someone mentioned head gasket. What signs should I look for if this is the problem? This is so frustrating because its not like a cut and dried fix, which would be so mch easier. I thought in this technologically advanced world auto diagnostics are supposed to be quicker and more exact? Not the case here it seems.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

You know guy,,I do not want to seem to be an A.H,,,but i did, as did others, post all the information you need.

Is the car or isn't it over heating,,??? One minute the gage is off scale,,next its not,,,,one minute the check engine light is on,,next its isn't,,,

The coolant overflow is suppose to fill up and bubble,,thats its function,,,

Take the dam car to your dealer and find out what the hell the problem is,,,,!!!!!!!! That's a $10,000 engine you are playing with,,,!!!!

Your not go>It is defnitely overheating. The plastic overflow starts to rise up and >bubble.

Reply to
AZV14