Towing question.

I have a 5 speed 1996 Maxima and an automatic 1999 Maxima ES.

Which one of these would be better to put a trailer hitch on?

Small utility trailer for a ride on mower or a small camper trailer.

Reply to
+G

The automatic

Reply to
Jim

I vote for the 5 speed. A new clutch is a lot cheaper than having the auto rebuilt. I pull a big jetski w/ both my automatics and although I haven't had towing-related problems, I've been told if you tow around town and up hills on the highway, the tranny will heat up and cook the fluid.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

You can use either, but if you use the Auto just make sure the Over Drive is off. You will smoke your tranny if you dont turn it off. Also install a tranny cooler. I put one on just because and it took about 2 hours. Very easy install.

Reply to
Warner Crump

Warner, Please be aware that these 3rd gen auto trannies are very temperature sensitive. Putting on a tranny cooler will lower the fluid temp in cold weather and delay upshifts until the fluid warms up. Doing this also keeps the seals from warming up properly on these old cars and could cause some slipping. I'm speaking from experience. I had a Hayden cooler on my 90 and removed it after realizing the problems it causes. Just towing my 800lb. jetski around Texas is no big deal for this car and I don't think a cooler is necessary unless it pulls alot of long hills.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Either one should work. I used to tow a 1000 lb camper (or occasionally a

4x8 foot trailer load of firewood) with a manual shift 73 hp Subaru. But there were times when I was glad I had 4WD, because the front tires would sometimes spin in torrential rains while just towing at steady speed on the highway (and for moving the camper around on grass or muddy roads).

So instead of towing with my 95 Maxima SE 5-spd, I bought a used 2001 Pathfinder (to replace an old 86 Ford F150 4x4).

Reply to
David Efflandt

But then, a 1996 Maxima is a 4th gen, no? Or are you suggesting that the

3rd and 4th gens have the same tranny? Although I am not absolutely certain, the trannie's must be different due to the considerably higher TQ rating of the 4th gen motor as compared to the 3rd gen (excluding the 92-94 SEs of course)

You are correct though that the 5 speed would be a a better choice in this towing situation. Manual trannies are always more robust than their auto counterparts. If anything, the clutch wears out sooner than later, and that's a normal wear item.

CD

Reply to
codifus

My fault. I thought we were talking 4th gens. Sorry for the bad info.

Reply to
Warner Crump

Uh, duh, yeah, that's right, a 96 IS a 4th gen (loud brainfart!). Maybe owning 2 3rd gens, my brain is stuck in that mode! I don't think they use the same tranny as you stated. Generally speaking, I have heard comments about the Maxima's trannies being temp sensitive. I think towing with any car of this size you'd want to not make it work too hard. Nothing like towing your 18' Sea Ray with a 71 Bonneville and not worrying about a thing, eh?!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H