Two 97 Maxima SE noises

I have a 97 Maxima SE with relatively low mileage (about 80k). I have had zero problems with it the last 10 years and it has had regular oil changes and maintenance. Suddenly over the last month it has developed two different noise problems. The dealer cannot find the cause of either.

One is a grinding noise after startup that lasts about 2-3 minutes and until the car warms up. Then the car runs fine and the engine is quiet as always. First the mechanic suspected the known starter problem, but given the noise is not extremely loud and stays around for a few minutes we agreed it wasn't the problem. The noise cannot be noticed outside the vehicle or when the hood is up. It is heard more clearly inside and the vibrations can also be felt with the gas pedal. The mechanic also checked the oil level and said it was fine.

The second problem is a thud/flapping noise coming from the right wheel area. It happens at low speeds, going over some bumps and rough road. It comes and goes so it is difficult to pin down. The car does not pull at all and other than the noise, there is no steering or control issue. The mechanic had the car up and checked underneath and cannot find a cause (said wheel, axle, suspension, etc. seem fine). I discovered that some of the screws holding the various plastic panels underneath were loose or gone and replaced those thinking they were the cause of the noise but it didn't help. The mechanic noticed a couple of loose rings around the exhaust system pipe, but they are more in the middle of the car and make a different noise.

Has anyone experienced either of these problems? Regarding the first, could it be oil pump related or simply something loose that shakes until metal expands? (the engine mounts are ok.) As to the wheel noise, can it bushings? Something wrong with the tire and the metal belts?

Thanks,

Ron

Reply to
rzahavi

Don't know about the first problem, but the second one sounds like an upper strut mount. Open the hood. Grab hold of the car somewhere around the right wheel well and bounce the car. It the big nut in the center of the mount (look in the top center of the strut tower) moves, the mount is bad & it should be replaced. Its an inexpensive part, about $40, but you have to remove the strut to replace it.

Reply to
E Meyer

I had to take the car back in today due to the wheel noise getting worse so it is in the shop and unfortunately I can't test it. I rode with the mechanic so that he could hear the noise and he suspected the strut as well and will check it tomorrow. I am concerned that it is something else or a combination of issues since today the thud was also happening sometimes when I was releasing the break at low speeds. As if the caliper was hitting the wheel. I could also feel the thud vibration in the break pedal. I am wondering if the strut issue could also cause this symptom, or if it might be a bad hub nut, or both.

Reply to
rzahavi