warning indicator light problem

Good day everyone.

I have been going crazy with this problem and I=92m hoping some one out there can assist me in a solution.

I own a 1987 Nissan Maxima which has served me well over the years and I can not afford to purchase another automobile at this time. Last week I had the lower right ball joint replaced and everything seemed to be going great until this morning when I stared the car and the series of error lights came on the way the usually do when I start the car but this time they did not go out like the usually do.

Upon start up there is an automatic error light bulb check for (battery, open door, seat belt, low washer fluid, rear defroster on, low radiator fluid, low fuel, high beam indicator, and head light burn out indicator). The seat belt sign goes out after flashing a few seconds and the door open indicator goes off when the door is closed (as they should) but all other lights remain on, which is not usually what occurres.

I looked at the circuit diagram and noticed there is a bulb test relay that is activated as part of the starting. I located the relay, removed it and tested it and it seems to be working the way it should. I put it back and heard it switch when the key went to the =93on=94 position =96 as it should. But the all error lights remain on after the car is started, even after driving a short distance.

Something is supposed to turn the error lights out after the test but I can not determine what performs that function. There must be something that deactivated the bulb test relay or times out the circuit in some fashion but I do not know where that is. Since the error lights need to remain functional I do not want to disconnect them.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any thing would be helpful at this point.

Thanks you for your time and cooperation,

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Did you check all your fuses?

When the engine runs, the alternator generates voltage in such a way that the test lamp relay is fed 12v on both sides of it's coil, thus turning the relay off.

Check the alt-s fuse and the alternator for proper functioning.

Good luck,

AS

Ralph wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I did check the error light fuse (first thing). And when I pulled the fuse the lights went out, as expeected.

I'l look fo rthe alt-s fuse as well as all the other fuses now!

Do you have any idea how the alternator gets power to both sides of the coil on the test relay? I was under the impression that the alternator provided the ground (return path) for the relay.

Thanks agin for your assistance. have a great day,

Ralph

AS wrote:

r lights remain on

Reply to
Ralph

The alternator provides the ground path when the coils are not generating voltage, they act just as a wire.

When the engine turns, the generator coil generates a voltage at the terminal to which the relay and the charge lamp ground is connected. When the voltage goes up, the voltage differential between both terminals for the lamp and relay goes down, thus shutting the lamp and the relay off.

Good luck!

AS

Ralph wrote:

Reply to