Which is best buy, 2000 to 2005 maximas

I'm looking at newer Maximas, and reading mixed reviews about them all. What are your opinions on them? I want to buy a used Max, less than $20,000, but don't know which year to go with. Body style isn't an issue, I like them all and would go with any in a heartbeat, I was just wondering what peopley would recommend. I read many tsb's on the

02's, read about cheap materials on the 04's, and I just don't know where to stard, besides I want a Maxima, and would like an SE. Any input appreciated Thanks, Steve
Reply to
sck0006

IMHO, which don't mean jack because opinions are like belly buttons(everyone has one)

J30 series either a 93 or 94

A32B series the 99 has my vote, yes I know about the coil problem but in the grand scheme of things it ain't that big of a deal.

A33 series , late production 02 or the 03 has my vote, they are pretty much bullet proof. A few minor things but here again , in the grand scheme of things , it ain't that bad

and for the 04's and up............. I think y'all know what I think of them.......not much

Reply to
NissTech

:( What's wrong with a 96 ;)

I actually second Nisstech's opinion. If and when I end up in the market for another car, I'll be looking for a used 02/03 Maxima (6-spd) :0

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 125k
Reply to
njmodi

There weren't really as many '03's as there were '02's were there? I heard that that '03 run was shortened a bit for the '04 debut. I had a '97 and went for a nice used '03 SE Titanium Edition which I picked up for $15K that had 39K miles. As far as bullet proof, mine is "Certified Used" by Nissan (if that really holds water or not, I'll see) and has an extended warranty to

100K.

As far as the "minor things" you mention, would you elaborate? I don't have the 6sp but the AT. It has about every other option but nav and heated seats.

Reply to
Justin Sane

Great car. Had the 3rd Gen body (still the best looking Max), the faster (190 hp) engine, and still had independent rear suspension (no Max since then has).

A fine choice Niss.

This is on my short list of replacement cars for my '91 SE.

Reply to
Bill G

I agree with everyone one of those except the A32B 99. The 99 I love because of the availability of a red maxima with black leather, but the

99s aren't as mod friendly. 4 O2 sensors, a locked down and aftermarket un-friendly ECU. Of course, that's the way Nissan wants it. I would go for the A32 98 because it is not as locked down so to speak. The 95 and 96 Maxima are the most aftermarket friendly of the Gen 4s, but I've always been a big fan of the 97-99 look.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

It's the move to Tennessee that I'm sure is responsible for the recent dive in quality. Once the dust settles I'm sure the Nissan quality will return to its typical levels.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Last weekend, I read in the paper that Nissan ranks well below average in terms of problems with their cars -- as was Mercedes. The data was based on

02 models. The # 1 was Lexus and surprisingly, Buick was near the top. Of course, Honda and Toyota were also well above average. I found that disappointing as an old Datsun owner (75 280Z and a 78 810) and a previous owner of a 92 SE 5 spd some years ago. Of course, Nissan is now largely owned by Renault.... and I remember the Dauphine of the late 50s when Renault had a presence in the U.S...so maybe that has a bearing on the issue. I cannot personally speak to current Maximas as I run an 01 Prelude as my primary transportation.
Reply to
TWW

I guess it proves that figures don't lie, but liars figure. The proof's in the pudding; Non profit organizations, like CU, which actually test vehicles for defects and regularly survey owners regarding frequency of repair records, find all Japanese makes,whether they are made domestically or overseas, above average in reliability. Most enthusiast magazines regularly rate Japanese cars more highly for innovation and engineering than their domestic counterparts.

Most owners I've spoken with confirm the opinions of the magazines.

If you're citing JD Power, OTOH, they rated TWA tops in customer satisfaction right up to the minute TWA filed bankruptcy....

I started out looking for a 2006 Mustang. Due to the non-response from local dealerships, I wound up looking at a 2006 Altima V6. I wound up with a 2006 Max, and I can sincerely say the car is fast, spacious, and appears to be a comfortable place to spend time on a long cruise. I've purchased new cars all my life, and this is the first one I haven't had to return to the dealership to correct the various mechanical and cosmetic defects I found on the (domestic) cars I've previously owned.

Reply to
Jorge W. Arbusto

Reply to
sck0006

Don't recall the source -- may have well been CU. In 92 the Maxima SE 5 spd was a "BMW" at a great price and a lot of fun to drive. Other than a problem with the VTC at 65k, the car was relatively trouble free. I prefer Honda currently because the dealer is tops and I really like my Prelude. And, when we bought our Pilot in 03, I really could not see that Nissan had anything comparable than the older model Pathfinder, which we did not like. The Nissan dealer has changed hands around here several times -- although the current owner seems to be doing quite well. The V6 6 spd Altima appears to be a bargain and the real replacement for the old Maxima.

Reply to
TWW

by minor things I mean,

various squeaks and rattles ( a technician's nightmare)

an occasional wheel bearing

maybe a check engine light that can be fixed by flashning the ECM with new data and an associated part the Nissan recommends that most times is covered under warranty, 8/80

Reply to
NissTech

This turned out to be a real cool post, I enjoyed reading all the responses.

And Nirav...

There ain't nuthing wrong with your 96, Enjoy the ride my brother.

Reply to
NissTech

I love my car (even more so after a wash/wax/detailing session)! Since all the 120k work I did this summer, and replacing the knock sensor, the car has just been smooth as silk. Unfortunately rust is taking it's toll on a few parts - so I have a feeling my VQ will be running strong, but I'll have no body left! ;)

Cheers. Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I agree, very informative. I've been trying to decide whether to ditch my 93 and it's worn parts for a new one, or keep it hanging in there. Thanks for all the great replies. Steve

Reply to
sck0006