Who knows used 2000-2001 Maximas?

I'm in the market for a used Maxima. I've been seeing a handful of

2000 and a couple 2001 Maxima SE and GLE's going for around $9k-$10k through various local dealers. The catch is that many of these Maximas in this price range have anywhere from 100k-150k miles on them already.

Is this a decent deal or should I really be wary of this generation Maxima with this many miles? How many miles can one reasonably expect out of this generation of Maxima?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
Darren

In general 4th and 5th generation Maxs are good for 200K easy if they have been maintained. If you're looking at automatics, the trans is the weak link. If the fluid has been changed a couple times by 100K it will probably make it fine to somewhere between 150 and 200+K. If it's still got the original fluid in it (as many do) it could fail much sooner. Also the 2000 had some controller/solenoid issues. When test driving it, put it to the floor at 30 or so and make sure it down shifts and pulls smooth and hard. Personally, I'd look for a private sale and stay away from dealer markup, but that's me.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

Thanks for the advice, Kim.

The reas> > I'm in the market for a used Maxima. I've been seeing a handful of

Reply to
Darren

Reply to
Darren

What in the transmission is the weak link? valve body problems... planetaries... torque converter... seals... clutch packs? Anything? Everything?

I have 2k1 auto... I've had the solenoid upgrade performed per the TSB and change fluid relatively regularly (every 20-30K or so). I'm hoping the tranny lasts the life... for me probably right in that

150-200K band.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

I'll guess 150k miles being conservative. My 90 GXE's tranny has been rebuilt twice in 145k miles. I think the first one wasn't done completely. On the second rebuild (I bought the car 2 years after the first rebuild) I personally looked at all the parts and components after it was torned down. The rebuilder said the seals, brake band, a caged roller bearing were all bad. Basically worn out. My wife's 94 GXE has 102k and the tranny is still silky smooth and runs like new. I think the Nissan transmission issue is just a roulette game- some last forever, others crap out

Reply to
Chris H

completely.

Reply to