WINDOW REPAIR

The driver-side window on my '91 Maxima just failed. It made a grinding noise as the window was going up.

This will be my first attempt at a window repair.

Could anyone out there please provide any pointers, tips, etc... for the repair. Could anyone recommend websites which might have detailed instructions for the repair.

Any information which might enable me to do the repair myself will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Thomas L. Hammond

Repair info at:

on "How To"

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Thanks very much for your help.

I believe this is exactly the info. I need to accomplish the repair.

Al Moodie wrote:

Reply to
Thomas J. Hammond

It is. Craig Brace's page is excellent. I've replaced 2 window reg units on my '91, and a 3rd one needs to be done.

It's a common failure on the 3rd Gen Max.

Don't buy the part from a dealer. It will be the same crappy design as the original. Look at this site instead. They have made a Nissan-approved (I think) modification that replaces the plastic parts that usually break with metal ones.

It's not a very difficult repair. You'll need a normal set of sockets, a #2 Phillips (for the door panel), and that's about it. Having a friend help is useful too. They can maneuver the window itself while you get the new reg unit in place.

Make sure you test it several times with the door panel off. Just plug the controls back in. As the window approaches closed, watch how it lines up, and also look to see if there are any slight movements/shifts/twists in the window, motor, or reg unit just as it "seals". You may see the window shift slightly into place as it completely closes. If this is the case, while the window is closed, slightly loosen both motor bolts, then retighten them, and do the same with the 4 reg unit bolts. This should allow both units to align with the window.

Then test it again, and it should be smooth sailing up and down. Make sure the bolts are tight, and put the door panel back on (which is actually one of the hardest parts about this fix).

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

Thanks, Bill, for the advice about checking the alignment of the window, motor, and regulator, before putting everything back together. And, ditto, for loosening and re-tightening the bolts. I think I might be able to accomplish this repair myself.

I hope that I can pass on this info to someone else in the future, like you're helping me now.

Bill G wrote:

Thomas L. Hammond

That's the beauty of this newsgroup. Many of us have learned, then taught.

Bill G

I want to express my thanks and appreciation to Bill and Al for directing me to the craigbrace website, and for the information concerning loosening and re-tightening the regulator and motor bolts to ensure that the new unit seats properly when the window closes.

I slightly modified the technique which Bill suggested, in that I loosened the regulator and motor bolts very slightly, and then raised the window, to let everything seat in it's desired position when the window closed. Then I tightened these bolts with the window up. This method seemed to work out pretty well, and I didn't observe any problems caused by this method.

It took much longer to put everything back together than to take it apart, but everything was very straightforward, and the instructions on the craigbrace webpage were quite accurate, and right on. It was a real pain getting that small plastic pin snapped into the hole in the door frame, and took maybe 1/2 hour and many attempts to finally do it.

Bill was exactly right about ordering the window regulator from Courtesy Nissan in Dallas. They shipped it out to me the next business day, and were great people to deal with. I saw what Bill was talking about with the plastic piece which broke in the lifting assembly. It is where the cable is fastened into the lifting piece of the window regulator. The plastic piece can't take the stress, and fractures, then the cable is no longer attached to the lifting piece, and the cable moves freely, without doing anything. Bill is right, about the modification of that plastic piece. In the new window regulator, that square plastic piece is now sandwiched on both sides by two square pieces of metal, so that the cable cannot separate easily from the square plastic piece, and the square plastic piece is less likely to break, because it is supported by metal on each side.

I was uncertain whether I was getting in over my head on this repair, before I asked for help from the newsgroup. Bill's advice, and a perusal of the craigbrace Webpage gave me the feeling that I should give it a try, and in the end, it proved to be do-able, and not too bad of a repair at that. So a big shout-out, and thanks to Bill and Al, and I hope that I can help someone else with a repair some day, like you guys helped me out.

P.S. I also replaced one of my Bose speakers, while I had the door torn apart, but have posted separately for that repair. I plan on replacing the Bose speaker in the other door when the other window fails.

Bill G wrote:

Reply to
Thomas L. Hammond