Yet another Maxima timing belt Question

This is for the nissan tech guys: I had to change the waterpump on my '93 max and went ahead and did the timing belt also. Is it possible for the cam pulleys to be 1 or 2 teeth out of 'sync' and still have the engine run fine? Or would it just not start or destroy the valves immediately after start? This was my first experience with this type of engine, and I believe I got it right using the shop manual as a reference. It seems to run fine, with maybe a little hesitation occasionally that may be because of the the old spark plugs that are still in it and our onset of cold weather. I just need to know if you would know immediately if those cams were not exactly to the tooth aligned with the timing mark or not. If they are not, is their any adjustment that can be made without going back in and setting it by hand?

Reply to
P.E.

It will run but not "fine". I've seen this happen a bunch and sometimes takes people a while to notice something isn't quite right, especially if the cam without the dist is the one that is out.

A good reason to use a factory nissan belt, it has marks that make it impossible to get it wrong. The dots on the covers don't match up exactly right and it's easy to get the back cam out a tooth advanced.

Nope, you have to take it all back apart. If you move the dist and it runs

-better-, then the belt is probably off.

Reply to
Steve

I have the factory belt. Exactly how do you mean about using the marks on the belt instead of the cam pulley marks lined up with the cover dots? The manual only lists lining those marks up together, and the marks on the belt just didnt seem to be exactly 'on' to me. I definately need to know this 'impossible' way of setting this straight. Thanks

Reply to
P.E.

As the other guy said when the factory belt is installed right using the marks on the belt, the cams are in the right place. The marks on the covers aren't exactly right. The dashed line on the factory belt goes on the rear camshaft with the arrow pointing towards the pass fenderwell. I bet the rear cam is off one tooth.

What manual are you using, a haynes or chilton?

Reply to
Steve

Alright guys! I went back in, and checked the belt. I was definately off by at least a tooth. The reason for that was that I used the hole for the belt cover screw as my alignment mark instead of the actual mark. That 'mark' was the size of a pencil lead and extremely faint. I never saw it the first time. And just looking at the manual(the Nissan shop manual) I didnt pick up on the very subtle point they were pointing at. I am amazed I didnt trash the engine, Ive been driving for a week. At idle, it would go for 3-4 secs fine and then you would get a little hesitation for half a sec, then it would go again. Now the belt lines line up exactly on the cam marks and she's running great again-for 158K thats pretty good. Thank you, Pat

Reply to
P.E.