1.9 diesel non turbo XU white smoke

3 times I have stopped in traffic and seen white smoke blowing around my car. If I can drive at a reasonable speed it clears. Has anyone else had this and know what was the cure?
Reply to
harvestmouse

well here we go .Worn or contaminated injector(s). Incorrect injection timing, Poor cylinder compression. Head gasket leak. Engine overcooling, Pre-heating system not effective, when was the last time it had a oil change and ALL filters.as mine did this when i first got it, and i replaced all filters and gave it a bottle of redex and a very hard run round the M25.

Reply to
Chrs

What was the outside temperature? White smoke is either unburnt diesel fuel, or water vapour. What does it smell of?

Reply to
Brian

Outside air temperature on each occasion was about 10 to 15 degrees centigrade. I don't know what it smells of because I try to get away and stop it smoking before Mr Plod sees me. Any ideas why it suddenly starts?

Reply to
harvestmouse

What was the outside temperature? White smoke is either unburnt diesel fuel, or water vapour. What does it smell of?

I suspect it doesn't smell of lavender...

Reply to
Linea Recta

snipped-for-privacy@p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

Yes, lots of white smoke. It's difficult to say how much but it's like having a bonfire about 10 feet across behind the car. The car has a Bosch fuel pump. Does anyone know about the microswitch which is operated by the accelerator rotating the cam. How should this be adjusted and where is the exhaust gas valve?

Reply to
harvestmouse

dont play with the pump settings unless you know whats what in one . give watson diesel a ring they are very helpful 02088793584-02088793861 they are very helpful and dont give you ballshit like some of the places do.

Reply to
Chrs

That microswitch controls the glow plugs. It turns them off after it has been actuated for more than a certain time. I doubt it has any effect on your problem - assuming your glow plugs are OK in the first place.

Reply to
Brian