106 diesel cold start

I bought 106 escapade-1.5L registration 1996 recently.It drive good except in cold weather. The engine starts very nicely in summer. It got brand new glow plugs and heater relay. I also cleaned the plug underneath the battery as I was advised but it still has the same problem. I used an injector cleaner with the diesel as well. The only way to overcome this I usualy turn the starter to ingnition point and off for 20 times before realy turn the engine on fully. Please advise. Thanks

Reply to
jadou

Assuming there is power to the glowplugs while the orange dash light is on (and for a few seconds after the light goes out) then the other thing that springs to mind is tight tappets.

Reply to
nigel

so the glow plugs are not getting there full time for heating. that means its the relay it is probly playing up, bad earth or wrong unit . if you know anybody with the same car try and use there unit to see if that works,,

Reply to
Chris

I would check the valve clearances, they tighten up with age, and this causes bad cold starting. Guess how I know?

Reply to
Brian