106 - ECU problem - advice welcome please!!

I have recently had a problem with my Peugeot 106 1.1 Zest 2 (2001). It began when I noticed the engine management light come on and that the car was misfiring.

The AA looked at my vehicle and diagnosed the problem as a suspect injector.

I took my car to the local dealership (not under warranty) and they charged me £80+VAT for a diagnosis which involved them diagnosing the same problem as the AA guy had done for free!!

However when they fitted the injector they discovered that the wiring loom had burnt out and that this also needed replacing bringing the total to £215.

A day later when expecting a call to let me know when I could collect my car I got a phone call telling me that they had unearthed a further problem and that I needed a new ECU (they did not specify but I presume this is the fuel one) and have quoted me £675 inclusive of labour for the final part of the job bringing my repair bill to £890.

I am no expert on cars but this seems steep to me and wondered if anyone could give me any advice/prices based on their own experiences or knowledge?

Should the garage have identified the root of the problem sooner?

Many Thanks

James.

Reply to
lester11

Seems a bit steep to me.WHY did it need an e.c.u.?,ask them for print outs of the faults,and get the old parts( inc the e.c.u.) back for analysis. For the initial diagnoses they can't just go on the A.A.'s or R.A.C. recommendation (alcoholics .anonymous. / Rent. A. Clown.) as to be honest most of the time they are wrong .A few of them are quite switch on But there are a few who are far off the mark) let me know how you get on mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

IME wiring looms don't just burn out - were you given any explaination as to why this could have happened ?

johntyers