106 engine warning light

My son took his M reg 106 (1.1 SKI - cheap, chereful no injection on anything) on its first long distance run today 250+ miles, normally just runs round town. About 200 miles out, he phones to say engine warning lamp (we think) is on,1st time hes seen it, should he go on etc etc, any way he did and engine performed OK etc

No user manual, and Haynes manual doesn't mention much

checking round the net only found this

So not the sort of of fault which is likely to cause major damag (?)

I didn't realise cars this old/small had ECU's

any way the link I posted someone talked about replaceing solenoid and diaphram - where/what are they ?

Reply to
only_me

The Engine Diagnostics Warning Light means that there is a fault reported and it needs to be read using equipment that connects to the ECU. Pug agents have this which they will probably charge through the nose for using, but most repairers these days have similar kit and can read the fault for you. I wouldn't do anything until that fault has been read because it could be a myriad of things.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Either way, having to have a secret code read to determine fault is asking for 'open wallet surgery' - Oh yes, Sir needs a new Lamba sensor and sprong valve, that'll be 400 quid. when actually the air filter needed a bit of a clean

In the link I refered to one guy was out 1300 (aussie dollars I think) to fix

Looking for simple tips, what can sensibly be checked/cleaned etc as a 1st step

Reply to
only_me

Having looked on ebay there seems to be a few fault code readers that you can get for around £50 or so, I have been tempted myself to get one but have not done so yet. I suppose once you have one it will come in handy from time to time, and at least you know what the fault is before you take it to a garage.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

and you will save your self money if you can do the work your self.

Reply to
Chrs