106 exhaust heatshields

I recently had to adjust the handbrake on my girlfriends ph1 106. The adjuster nut & equaliser plate were sat above a heatshield above the exhaust.

When removing the heatshield, i snapped 3 of the 4 studs holding it up. They looked like they have never been removed.

What I'm wondering is:

Do I really need the heatshield? There is nothing above it except the handbrake cables & equaliser plate. I dont want anything to happen to the handbrake cables, and heatshields are usually there for a reason, but the cables seem a fair distance from the exhaust pipe itself. Otherwise I'll have to put some new studs in................

Reply to
Ray Bentos