106 noise

i have a Peugeot 106 1.5D 66k on the clock, i've a weird problem after 10 or so minuets after starting up, when I'm driving if i let off the accerator, lets say i am driving down a hill i start to hear a "binding" noise, if i rev up the noise does not disappear it stays at a constant pitch, or when i depress the clutch to change gear i hear the same noise, only if i slow down to around 10 mph does it stop, or i put my foot on the accerator again to speed up.

Its not the brakes/steering as these have no effect when played with when driving, i've had the cam belt and alternator belt replaced, my only thoughts are the water pump/alternator?

any ideas?

Reply to
pvastring

If the noise doesn't change when you rev the engine, it is almost certainly a drivetrain issue (i.e. not water pump / alternator). I'd check your engine mounts - if the engine 'relaxes' more than it should when you ease off the accelerator, then a moving part could be binding on something. Also check for exhaust damage (e.g. cracked manifold) Failing that I'd suggest checking the usual suspects of cv joints and wheel bearings, although in either case I would expect the noise to be dependent on steering. Finally it could be a gearbox problem - take it for a spin to get everything nice and warm, then jack it up on axel stands with the wheels free to turn and out of gear and see if you can hear the source when turning the wheels by hand (jam one wheel and turn the other, then swap), and then with the engine ticking over in 3rd/4th/5th. This should give you more information to diagnose the problem.

Reply to
Andrew Kirby